6 weeks post ankle surgery, pain!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so I had broken my tibia and fibula & gotten surgery (a plate and some screws) over 6 weeks ago. On Monday my doctor gave me clearance to walk again, in the boot of course. All week was fine, but today (Friday) was so painful I could barely take it, broke down into tears several times, left work early. My percocets didn't do anything for the pain. The only thing I can think that I did was I tried to stretch my calf because I'd been getting cramps from walking again, but I didn't push anything too far. Could my pain be from moving the ankle for the first time in over a month or should I be concerned that it's broken again? My doctor's office is closed & im upset.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What you are experiencing is normal. When I was at your stage I was also scared until I found this group. I was 10 weeks non weight bearing and am now walking normally with some swelling by days end. I'm now 19 weeks. So sorry to tell you it is a long difficult journey emotionally and physically. My best to you and your recovery. Your PT is critical and you must dedicate yourself to it.

• Posted

I agree with Carol. The phase you are in, Cmle72,  can be difficult, but you are finally in a phase where you are moving forward. I tried to push pretty hard every day and some times I pushed too hard. The next day I would rest it completely when that happened, and not push as hard the following day. I hate to take meds, but finally broke down and took one Motrin in the morning and one at night and that made all the difference for me. I took them with food when I took them and I took them for about 2 months. After that, things got much easier and I totally got off them. I'm 6 mos. out and feeling great, and able to do everything but run fast. If you noticed your calf looks like it wasted away a lot, that is normal too and it plumps back pretty quickly, but I heard it takes a full year to get it to match the size of the other one. 

• Posted

Cnle72,

I just behind you with the same thing. I go back next week to see of I start rehabing/walking. It will ne 5 weeks then aftwr surgery.How are you feeling now? Did the pain go away? How much walking did you do each day? I want to start back to work as soon as possible but am wondering about the walking. Once you began walking did they okay you to only wear the boot for walking or do you have to sleep with it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.