6 weeks post Knee surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I am currently 6 weeks post surgery, I had an arthroscopy and Medial Collateral Ligement reconstruction.

I have concern with the fact that I am currently really struggling to straighten my leg at all

im not sure if this is normal for this kind of timescale or not?

I am also struggling with low mood and frustration due to not being able to do anything myself 😡

Any my advice or help is appreciated 

thanks in advance 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Six weeks post surgery seems to be a common point at which low mood is heavier. What was said to you about your rehabilitation? Do you have exercises you have been told to do?

• Posted

I too am 6 weeks post op for my left tkr. I am having trouble as well with straightening and more frustrated as I did have it straight and now am 2° away from it straight. This is my 2nd replacement. My right tkr was done in 2015. Although this time around it was less frightening due to me having a better idea what to expect I do find myself not doing my physio exercise at home as regimently as last time. Keep your eye on the prize and while you may be down you will turn the corner soon and realize it is worth the struggle for now. Hope this helps to know you are not alone. Take care.

• Posted

Hi I had a knee arthroscopy in Dec 2016 I had a bucket tear in my meniscus Ian not sure how much cartilage was cut out ,8monyhs later Ian not able to straighten my leg it still pops and tightens at the back ,I've been having private physio sessions and getting stronger but still struggling and my knee is still swollen and a lot of fluid still around my knee Ian hoping to regain some sort of training as normal in the next few months it's a long process but keep the exercises up and strengthen around the knee Good Luck!!!

• Posted

I guess I wasn't at a all mental prepared for the post surgery recovery.

I have exercises to do and can now begin partial weight bearing on my leg, just got to stick with it and take the high's with the low's although seem more low's currently.

• Posted

Be kind and patient with yourself. Try and watch some comedy, listen to music you like and try and do something nice each day..even though limited there are still enjoyable activities, acceptance of where you are right now...and also remind yourself in time that things will be different.
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny, yes it's been a learning curve being unable to do things you enjoy and looking at new ways of keeping the mind active/occupied. 

• Posted

Yes, little physical energy but more mental energy, means it needs some place to go! If you have some kind of project or something that you can focus on it helps immensely. For me I threw myself into writing about my TKR experience, which I posted in my usual blog,

You may like a skim through if it helps, link is on my profile page. I am sure that some of the information is relevant to you even though you have not haf a TKR. It might give you a bit of a laugh in places, go to the relevant page... It was written to convey the need for patience, something our cultures in the western world are not really geared up to! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information. Everyones journey is very different but it can be reassuring to read of others experiences and be able to see progress made...at its own pace, unique to the individual. Skim reading recommended! But possible to just dip in and out of, as with this forum! Blessing and good wishes to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.