6 weeks post op

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies, 

Just looking for some advice please. 

I am 6 weeks post op for anterior and posterior repair and I am really unsure whether to go back to work  this week. I am still so achey I have not seen any stitches and have had a uti and internal infection which have now cleared but I am still struggling with standing and also heavy achey feeling. 

I have had a look and I am sure there is a Bulge in the vagina opening and feels all bumpy inside (tmi) sorry. When I go to doctors they tell me they know nothing about pelvic floor surgery and my hospital changed appointment to 8th January so can’t ask anyone. 

I am trying not to do too much but single Mum to two boys 2 & 9 so impossible to not do anything. 

My job is a desk job but very stressful and full time not sure if I can manage that yet but I feel like everyone thinks I must be almost putting this on. Really like some advice as I know no one who has had this and getting fed up with my slow recovery 😞 xx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

You've not gad it easy with all these complications uti's and infections. You don't sound any where near ready to go back to work. I had an anterior and pisterior repair and went back to work at 12 weeks post op and even though I felt ready to return I really wasn't it's one thing feeling not to bad when you xan go and rest when you need your but totally different in the world of work ("pisterior repair can take up your 4 months before you start to feel anywhere near normal.

You have just had major surgery and the repair tissues are really only pulling together and stitches loosening off at around 4-6 weeks. Deeper tissues take much longer and therefore will still be healing. Can't understand why GP with basic Anatomy and physiology don't have enough common sense to at least guide us on this one

You must remember that your pelvic floor supports the weight of all your pelvic organs (including bladder and bowels), so not good to put too much down pressure on healing tissues.

Please be careful, if and when you do decide to return to work ask for a gradual return with reduced hours/days. I personally would wait until seen and given the go ahead by consultant.

Thus is your health for the rest of your life don't be bullied into returning you soon second repairs are not as successful as first ones.

Phyl x

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, gosh that's tough trying to recover and cope with 2 young children and pressure to return to work.   If you are in the Uk you will need a fit note from your GP or consultant which will say you either not fit for any work or fit with reasonable adjustments/graduated return to work. It is quite understandable after what you have been through for you to be struggling with sitting, standing and achey feeling. I am 8 weeks post op and still find it difficult. I suggest you insist on an appointment with GP or hospital to review your fitness to return to work with full duties. Do you have an HR dept or Occupational health Person at work as they ideally should support you in adjusting your hours or gradual return to work without risking complications  from your surgery. Hopefully the bulge and bumpiness is just swelling and normal healing..... This is what I was told at 7 weeks after similar surgery. Good luck on your recovery and getting the support to delay or modify the conditions of your return to work.

k

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, I can totally sympathise with your position. I'm 5 weeks post op, signed off work for another 3 weeks but struggle massively walking anything other than short distances. I'm expected to return to work once the 3 weeks is over but if I'm not drastically improved it won't happen. I'm a train driver, I carry a heavy equipment bag, lift my body weight up and down the train from rail level and need to be able to walk 1.25 miles on ballast. Well I'm not superwoman so don't know what I'm supposed to do. I also have a bulge and its been confirmed I now have anterior prolapse (repair was posterior). I would say we know our own bodies and when it's the right time to go back we won't feel the need to question it, follow your instincts and put your health before your work x

• Posted

Hi , so sorry to hear that you have had a rough time of it but I had Anterior and  prosterior prolapse repair on the 15th Sept and I am still not back to work .

Like you I had an infection post op and that set the recovery back but I still get that heavy feeling if I try and do too much . I also get back pain if I stand for too long which is new to me.

Get signed off for longer and take it as easy as you can. I know it’s hard as I have three young children who I am constantly running around after so I know how you feel. 

Please be kind to yourself and give yourself more time to recover.

I am going a k on a phased return even after 3 months off and instead of working full time for 8 weeks I will be on restricted duties . 

Work isn’t worth putting your health at risk. 

Hope you get sorted , we are all here for you x 

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

Just read all the posts & totally agree with everything said.

I am now 18wks post op for posterior repair & it's been horrendous.

I didn't drive or go out walking (slowly) until 10wks.

Everybody heals differently so you do need to listen to your body. Don't worry what people think as you're the one that knows how you feel.

I'm stilI having some pain but I have gradually been able to build my strength up!

I certainly couldn't have gone back to work so soon. You also have little ones to care for so make yourself & your children your priority!

Things will improve but don't be bullied into doing something you're not ready for.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Jennifer

I echo all the comments already made.

I’m just over 6 weeks post op anterior and posterior repair. My sutures have just this week started to fall out but still have some intact.

I am just managing an hour in the kitchen and I sleep every afternoon. I am very tired. I feel well in myself but cannot lush beyond what I can do. I certainly could not contemplate working. 

I have gently swept a room but still no lifting or pushing g anything. 

I had my third post op check Friday and my consultant whilst happy with my healing has reminded me to take care and remember not to overload my abdominal muscles and put any strain on my pelvic floor to avoid post op damage.

Please don’t be pressured by anyone and remember even when you feel quite well it is very different in the workplace.

I am just about able to sit on a sofa but always more comfortable with my feet up.

Best wishes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.