6 weeks post op

Posted , 4 users are following.

I thought I'd give an update as I was very surprised yesterday with my latest hospital visit.

I'm six weeks post op broken fibia and dislocation of left ankle, now I have a plate 5 screws and two pins. 

I had my cast off yesterday and have been told by my physio to put as much weight as I can cope with through my foot, I've been given exercises to do every hour. I'm hoping to go swimming very soon then back to cycling at the gym maybe spin. 

I'm going to try sitting in my car later to see if I can push the clutch down.

I thought I would be going into a boot after everything I've read but no I'm now on the rd to recovery. My foot is very stiff and sore so it's slowly slowly at the mo 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hope to recover soon. I am also having same fracture in left ankle 11 months back with one plate 9 screws and one pin but I have still pain while walking. I am driving car since 4 months and bike since 2 months. Now I have to consult my doctor for removal of hardware. In my case it took long to recover. Praying for your early recovery.
    • Posted

Thank u, yes I would be loosing my mind if it took that long, I want to be back in work in a month which is a job on my feet 😬

• Posted

good luck on your recovery... I am hoping I can get my boot off his Thurs.. last  time I broke it, I had to wear the boot for 12 weeks.... take care..
  • Posted

Hi Samantha,

Glad to hear you are on road to recovery.

If your practitioner wants you to jump from 6 weeks of immobilized non-weight bearing to experiment with 'bear as much weight as you can cope with' and without the protection of the boot-- all I can say is I am astonished.rolleyes

Unless your doctor is all-knowing and knows your bones and soft tissue are now bulletproof then I still can't get over it.

It seems to me that more and more doctors are subscribing to the radical notion that it is best orthopedic practice to get patients immediately up on their feet full-weight bearing as soon as bones appear to be healing.

In any case, respect your body and take it easy at first. If your pain and discomfort is such that putting on the boot would make it more tolerable, then do it.

• Posted

Believe me I questioned it, they've told my bone is completely heeled and now I need to work on the muscles to get my strength back.

I don't have a boot to wear, I'm using two crutches at the mo which hoping to be off them in a couple of weeks.

Going swimming tomorrow morning 💪🏽

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.