6 weeks post op but no physio or exercises

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had my operation 6 weeks ago and was never told to do anything apart from keep my foot raised. Went back for my 6 week review on Friday and told I could wear my shoes and walk normally. My foot is too swollen and too stiff to do either of those and after doing a bit of googling I've realised that I should have been instructed to do exercises and seen a physio. Anyone got any advice about what exercises I should have been doing since my op?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I was just told wiggle my toes.. 
    • Posted

Exersices I did on the second week

whole body, stand with one foot in front of the other,like you are on the rope.Hold15-20.

whole body, stand with one foot on a balance pad. I do it just on the floor.Hold 15, do it 5 times.

Right now I am trying to stand on my toes, both feet and than just on one

• Posted

I was not given any advice except to wiggle my toes (I am 3.5 weeks post-op). I have found some Youtube videos of flexibility exercises which apparently should be started in week 3 or 4. I have also been told by a physio friend that there is no need for physio after a scarf osteotomy and that I should just flex by big toe to improve the flexibility. I've been flexing my big toe up and down using my hands but this doesn't mean it is the right thing to do... it just feels OK to do it so I do.
    • Posted

Hi, Nicola! I am going to PT twice a week. Every time exersices more hard. I like it. Because like you saw some on internet,  but the same exersices they do a little bit different in different cites. If you want, send me a note and I will send you some exersices. I am at the end of 4 week. Now I am working to Stand on my toes on both legs, then try to stand on the toes of operated leg.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I was not offered physio and because my foot got so stiff I asked the doctor if I could have some.  The physio I saw was surprised I had not been referred before and the Doctor has since said perhaps it would have been a good idea.  So check with your doctor about exercises Good Luck

• Posted

I too have been flexing my toes, I can wiggle toes one and three quite easily, toe two needs a bit of help from me cos I can't move it using my head..x
  • Posted

I put my e- mail for you, probably it's forbidden.

i am at the end of my 4 week and going to PT twice a week, it's help me a lot, every visit they gave me more hard exersices. So, I'll try to tell you.

I start with ankle rotation exercise.I do it watching TV.

Toes extension- up and down, hold 10 seconds, do 10 times

Toes Flexion- bend and straighten your toes briskly,15 times. I do it all the time sitting.

• Posted

I'm 20 weeks post op now and like you was told it was ok to wear my

shoes and get back to normal... easier said than done... managed about 10 minutes in my training shoes before I returned to wearing my

surgical shoes when I needed to leave the house....these were the only

shoes that I could comfortably wear until about 13/14 weeks after my

OP but my feet were still really sore .

I went to see a podiatrist last week who said that my toes were so tight

and she told me to scrunch my toes up and hold for 30 seconds and

repeat throughout the day, I was stretching them back...as in pointing

them upwards but she said not to do this but its ok to scrunch and

stretch, over the week they have felt slightly better but my feet can still

really ache and swell up if I've been on them for most of the day.

I also wasn't offered Physio or given any exercise info from the surgeon

when realeased at 6 weeks. From reading another helpful forum I now

realise it's a long recovery period and having just spent a few days away

doing quite a bit of walking I had to resort to taking pain killers as the

pain and swelling became uncomfortable again.

Maybe try and gently scrunch up your toes...no need to put pressure on

while gripping or squeese hard....just gently and slowly.

• Posted

Thanks. I will try scrunching and stretching. I plan to go swimming as soon as the bandage is off as well. Surely that will help! Good luck with the rest of your recovery.
    • Posted

I was also told to massage the scar and area near it, I have some swalling. I think all exersices and massaging helps. At the end of the 4 week, I am wearing normal sandals,scarf looks nice, old skin goes away. I use arnica cream and coconat oil for must arising .
  • Posted

I too was just told to wiggle y toes. After 6 weeks I was told to visit a physio; he told me to just carry on scrunching and to start trying to pick things up with my feet but that was all. 
  • Posted

Hi, everything depends on the swelling. That is Hat prevent you from wearing regular shoes and it gives the stifness. I can compare it with a friend, who had the op 3 years ago.

She had a lot of swelling  and she could not wear her regular shoes for months.

I had two surgerys, one in sept and one in jan. I have almost no swelling and after 6 weeks i can wear flat shoes or small heel without problems.

But don't worry when your swelling is gone everything comes fine.

• Posted

Hi can i start by saying i'm 11 weeks post op today ! From what i've seen everyo

Hi i'll start by saying that everyone's recovery is very unique ! Some good but most i've read seem longer than what surgeon tells you. I'm 11 weeks post op today and strugglimg to stand & walk for more than a few minutes ! Was told by surgeon to take dressings off at 6 week mark & could drive if i was able, huh 5 weeks later and still stuck, still have a lot of swelling & dont feel safe to drive ! Started physio at week 9 and def feel its making a difference.....but slowly ! Have some movement in toes. So wud recommend you start physio asap but have realistic expectations of progress. My therapist is optomistic but real, am looking at 4-6 weeks therapy.This realisation has helped me enormously as was despairing from pain, frustration & boredom once the 6-8 week recovery time surgeons quote passed. Good luck !!

• Posted

What op did you have Anne? I agree, we all heal different, so many differerent thing effect our healing times . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.