6 weeks post op check up with doctor

Posted , 8 users are following.

OK so I had my 6 week check up. He dismissed me and said I can go back to work. He did an internal and I was in much pain. He didn't see concerned BUT I am. By the end of the day I am wiped out. Doing more but it remains that I am wiped. I have one more week off then back on June 26th for full time work. He said it can take 6 months to totally heal. Not that I would want sex but it is on hold until less discomfort. My belly gets tighter as the day goes on. Also he used a speculum that was large to look inside and as he was removing it-it tore my skin on the entry to vagina so I have to treat and be careful with that. I am 54-so I guess I have 54 year old skin. Less hormones. Now on estrace cream. I am just wanting to know others who are 6 weeks or so to let me know that at 6 weeks you will still have discomfort if up for long time and if any had their 6 week were they without discomfort? Any help appreciated.

Mary

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi- I have read so many posts on here : it seems it's a full year to recovery and until no pain or discomfort. 6 weeks until intense pain goes. I am Only 4 weeks and went out to the pub for first time tonight. Just so tired doing that. I saw my surgeon a few days back. He was very dismissive too and was quick to absolve himself of responsibility for my buttock pain and sciatica. I don't think these surgeons realise how this changes your life.

Good luck getting back to work. If you have occupational health perhaps you'll be given light duties ? Sorry I can't give you specific info being behind you in terms of weeks of recovery.

• Posted

Hi Mary

I am six weeks today, I'm due back at work on July 3rd.

I'm so sorry to hear about your trip to the doctor, I can't believe he used a large speculum! I can't remember what you had done but I'd hit the roof if anyone did that to me. (Vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repair for me). I still have lots of internal stitches, they feel like wire, so sex is a definitely not on the cards for a while yet. I'm not in any pain but do still get tired.

Heal well. ??😃

• Posted

Hi Mar,

That's good that you are doing well. I would however be concerned about return to full time work if I remember right it is a new job you are starting?

I would try and push for a gradual return on part time basis. The deep tissues can take months to heal and your body will be still repairing by making tougher scar tissue.

I returned to work at 12 weeks post op and if set me back as I had problems with nippy scar tissue and at 15 almost 16 months post op have still not completely recovered from damage done overdoing things at work during that early period.

I had gradually built up walking and swimming and doing really well until they left me om my feet for full shifts. I had to completely rest between shifts and restart building up my walking, swimming again.

So although walking up to a couple of hours and swimming 16 lengths. I am not ax far on as I was when u initially returned to work.

So please be very careful and think of your long term health, it's not worth being pushed into doing too much before your body is ready, you have to allow for change in hormones which weaken ligaments and your pelvic floor takes the weight of all your pelvic organs once your on your feet.

Matron always said that posterior repair can take up to 4 months; I had anterior and posterior done last tone but had anterior and hysterectomy previously and overdone things first time.

You don't want to have to go through surgery again so please listen to your body and don't be bullied into doing things you're not ready for. Your long term health so much more important

Good luck

Phyk x

• Posted

Thank you Phyk-I am concerned for sure. But with a new job-I have no choice but full time. The benefit is it is a desk position. Sitting will help-I know now when I am on my feet too long I feel it. If I sit I am better. I would not be able to go to a job on my feet this quickly for sure. I can't imagine folks who have to do this. I tell you-it really is such a major surgery. It is so funny and sad-I called the surgeon to double check what my limitations are. No weight limits-just said listen to your body. There needs to be more instructions for us-I would never think of picking up anything heavy-and am careful how long I am on my feet. So unfortunate some doctors are not more aware or more restictive.

thanks again and I will let you know how I am getting on.

Mary

• Posted

Matron always advised to get up once an hour and move about for a little while if in a desk job; I know that even now when on my shift at work even though I now get to sit at checkout I still get up and stand for 10/15 minutes every hour. I still get sore sitting too long it does make all the difference when I get a good supporting chair though. Some of the ladies used ice packs after a long day as I think you can swell some.

Take care, x

• Posted

I will check in as I can to update. It is SO important we have this forum. I will take the advice on getting up and standing also and the ice. Thank you!
  • Posted

My doctor said silimar things at 6 weeks - surgery looked great, no restrictions.  I thought she was nuts and went by much more conservative timelines and just took things slowly, gradually walking longer and doing more as I could.  I was lucky as I am a stay at home mom and my family was great helping out, so I didn't have the pressure to go do a job I wasn't ready for. I really couldn't do very much.  Hopefully being a desk job will be a bit easier.  I'm sorry your doctor won't extent your time off.  That's really tough.

I think it was 14 weeks when I stopped having vaginal pain when I lifted a jug of milk.  it was about then that I felt my surgery wasn't the limiting factor, but things were complicated for me as I have back pain issues that were very severe at the time so I couldn't do much pre-op.  At 14 weeks I felt like I could do more work on recovering my strength and getting back to my old Physio exercises so I could try to achieve normal functionality.  I think the prolapse was making my back worse as my pelvic floor was in spasm.  I've been able to make much more progress on my back in the last year than I had in the 3+ years before that.

overall the surgery has been very good for me, but the recovery was definitely much slower than my doctor seemed to think it should be.

• Posted

Thank you Dori. Yes I think it will take double this amount of time to be anywhere near a feeling of less discomfort for me. I am just going to take it slow especially for this last week of time off. Healing is taking place it just is not something that's fast by any means. When you went for your 6 week exam did you have discomfort when he examined you?

• Posted

My doctor did the exam gently.  I don't think it felt comfortable, but it wasn't awful.   

One thing I wondered when reading your post I saw if there was something going on with your pelvic floor muscles.  Mine were in spasm beforehand as well as after, but surgery can cause it.  On thing it can do is make vaginal exams or penetrative sex painful for women.  It can be addressed by pelvic floor physical therapy.  That's said, I'm not a medical person and that isn't the only reason for pain.  Maybe it wasn't just the tender tissues and the cream is all you need.  If you want to google it, I believe pelvic floor dysfunction is the correct term.

• Posted

Maybe it *was* just the tender tissues.  My iPad thinks it is doing me a favor by auto correcting was to wasn't, did to didn't etc.  so frustrating!  Messes up my posts so much.  I hope the meaning is clear enough and sorry for the confusion.

• Posted

Yes you could be right. I was in physical therapy before I decided to have surgery for my pelvic floor and my muscles were tight. It is something I will have to look into again. Thanks for reminding me.
  • Posted

Hi mar1964,

im 6 weeks today and saw my surgeon last week. Laparoscopic colpopexy with vaginal rectocele repair. She said I still have lots of stitches so no swimming or sex for a few more weeks (I'm no where near ready for sex, wish I could swim though) she also said no restrictions. Don't lift anything too heavy but resume normal duties. I feel really good but I do still get sore if I do too much and very tired by the end of the day. I think the  surgeons have no idea how we really heal. I'm going to,continue taking it as easy as I can, I don't want to undo everything. I am lucky I'm retired.

I'm glad you're new job is a desk job. Good luck with everything!

Pam

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words. Saturday I started to feel much much better. I believe my pelvic muscles were in a knot. Has anyone else experienced this. I called the surgeon and I'm trying to get a physical therapy consult because of this. Someone else pointed this out earlier in this post. I can't believe how much better I feel now that my muscles have relaxed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.