6 weeks post op - fusion is partial on xray.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Bit disappointed that after six weeks my ankle is not fully fused.

Had an xray today

The area is approx 2/3 fused and there's a tapering gap between the bones at the final third.

Is six weeks too soon to start worrying its a failure and will need redoing?

Consultant has told me to stay partial weight bearing for next six weeks and put me back in a cast. (and keep fingers crossed!)

I'm feeling a bit low.

Thanks for any info.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mine was broken in 3 places.

Screws an long screw through back of ankle to stabilize

Mine was healed at 7 weeks.

Everyone heals different.

My ortho told me ABSOLUTELY no weight on that foot first 4 weeks, then 25% weight with crutches until week 7 when it was xrayed and deemed healed and I could go full weight with boot

He even said I could try w/o boot if I was comfortable.

I then started PT and made good progress.

Still have pain in other parts of my body.

I babied that ankle for 7 weeks because I definitely just wanted my life back

• Posted

Ive babied the ankle for 6 weeks so far - but will carry on with very partial weight bearing for next 6 weeks.

• Posted

I'm 3 nd a half months now and I think full weight bearing for 3 weeks. When I first tried putting weight on my foot it hurt so bad I didn't think I'd ever walk again. When the pt came I was babying it but when she left I bit the bullet, stood in between my walker and stood switching feet without holding on. Ya gotta push thru the pain. I'm walking now but with a limp...I'm working at that however if I'm out for like 3 hours on my feet I have to go home. My feet hurt, I feel tired and depressed, This is a person who did hair for 48 years in high heals and never did my feet hurt nor did they hurt after 8 hours of shopping. I knew eventually I would have to end being the energizer bunny but I am so p****d I sped up the process by doing this to myself by being carelesss. Unless I get completely better this is going o be hard to take.P.S. I'm 70.

• Posted

After my ankle fusion I was 16 weeks post op before it finally fused. As I am 66 years old I wondered if it was age related. Once I started weight bearing I was fully mobile within 3 weeks, although I still have swelling of my ankle which settles once I elevate it.

Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

I'm 67 so maybe age related. 16 weeks would drive me mad if in cast - but not much option if thats what's needed. Thanks for letting me know its not just me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.