6 weeks post op revision knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, it's me again I'm 6 weeks post op and still having to use my crutches as my knee just gives way when I try to put full pressure on it. Physio says I'm doing well but I feel upset as I know someone who is older than me and walking unaided. I am also still not getting more than a couple of hours sleep a night before I have to sit on the side of the bed in pain my hip is so painful at night. Feeling very low right now

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh dear Diane.  Really sorry to hear that you are still having problems...and pain.  It's so difficult when you can't even get comfortable.  I hope that you are taking something strong for the pain?

I can understand you being worried if the knee feels like it's giving way, but if your physio thinks that you are doing well, then that's a good sign.

We just have to keep at it and hope that eventually we'll be walking somewhat normally, and pain free, again soon.

Take care.

Patsy

• Posted

Hi patsy,

thank you, I know I need to be more positive but every day seems so long and every night even longer just can't wait to sleep through one night without waking in pain, and to come off these crutches that I have been on for so many years.

• Posted

Hi Diane, I certainly know how you feel. I am 8 weeks post op and until about 2 weeks ago I was still using a walker as I had a lot of weakness in the quadricep on the bad side. It has finally started to get stronger to the point that I am able to walk around with my cane for support (not leaning fully on it but there for moral support that makes me feel more confident). Is the knee itself giving out - or the muscles in the thigh? I know that that is an awful feeling because you certainly feel like you are going to fall. I still have issues with the bend but the muscle stimulation helped me a lot especially conciously contracting the muscle while the machine was working. Something else that helped me - especially for stairs - where you have to rely on the leg for support - was a brace that did not allow the knee to bend. obviously the goal is to get as much bend from the knee as possible but for those situations - like stairs or uneven pavement - the brace worked wonders on my self confidence. I keep it handy if I am tired after PT or after I've had a lot of walking ... but am getting to (maybe) not need it anymore. Best money I spent!  Good Luck and stay positive - I know thats not always easy but the folks on this forum are great. Donna.
    • Posted

I'm 21 weeks po today from new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea. Knee is definitely feeling stronger, I can manage without stick around the house but use it when outside 'coz I've lost my confidence. My problem has been with muscle wastage, especially quads, and my hamstrings are very tight. I'm working hard to build up muscle, my exercise bike has been a godsend, but boy it's a long drawn out journey. I also have fibromyalgia and am menopausal so seem to be in a vicious circle. For weeks now I've been very low and weepy and doc has given me antidepressants but I'm very reluctant to take them. I'm 56 and have never had anything like this before and its all come as a big big shock. I've been off work now since 20 March and wonder if I'll ever return. I just need the old "me" back! 
    • Posted

Pam, I think you will take longer if you have fibromyalgia as that affects the muscles doesn't it. Take it easy. Do what you  can and you will slowly build up. I am so pleased you have an exercise bike it will really help you. Chin up. Are you also on Pred for your fibromyalgia?
    • Posted

It's a slow process getting your confidence back once you've had that scare (knee giving out or feeling as though you might fall). I went to the hospital this morning for my 8 week visit and used just my cane...I have to say that I felt a bit exposed and naked. The leg was fine but I was moving a glacial pacefor fear it might maybe could..give out. It didn't. So next time I hope I'll be that tiny bit more confident... I know some (most?) Is in my head but can't help it.
    • Posted

No, I can usually control it with nurofen, hot water bottle, hot shower and rest. But everything seems to be battling each other at the moment.......knee, fibromyalgia, menopause, depression........aaaargh lol! 
    • Posted

I'm so with you on this. About four weeks ago I was out with hubby and knees seemed to hyper extend. If I hadn't have had stick and holding hubby's hand I would have been flat on my face in the street. I was absolutely terrified, as it was I burst into tears in full view of everyone, I felt such an idiot. That really knocked my confidence for six and I think this is always now at the back of my mind and I can't shake it off. I'll never, EVER, take walking for granted again. It really upsets me when I see people walking by my house, or in town, or on tele...... because I so want to be doing the same. 
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

Thank you you I will try and stay positive, my knee just can't take the pressure when I'm trying to bring the other leg forward. My physio said its that I have no muscles working to support my knee. I go  physio this week I will ask her about the brace. Wishing you a speedy recovery 

Diane

• Posted

typically they (PT) don't like the brace idea as they think you're not working on the ever-lovin' bend... but if you're using it to get around as an interim measure while those muscles are recuperating - I say GO FOR IT. You need to feel secure and confident. I had surgery on the same knee ,many years ago (when I was a sweet young thing) and the Dr at that time insisted I wear the brace until I had at least 90 degree.  to protect the knee, etc ... I mentioned the fact that I had bought a brace to my surgeon this morning ... he4 had been on holidays while I was going thru my very bad period ... and he said - no worries - whatever got you thru .... I only use it for stairs and if I am tired ....
    • Posted

I know .... I feel like I have left nose prints on my front room window watching everyone go about their lives .. walking, cycling .... talk about cabin fever ....talk about not taking it for granted ... and HYPER aware of building etrances and exits .... I felt the same way with my mini melt down - crying at the PT session ... everyone was looking at me or trying to pretend that they weren't there .... IT IS scarey and until someone has gon thru it .... they need not comment (that's what canes are for ...unwanted comments smile )  My husband actually asked the Dr this morning how much of my fear was 'in my head' .... he Doc (bless him) said ...well the knee is not functioning correctly so I'd say she's just being cautious ....
    • Posted

I agree with your nose-prints on the window comment, Donna.  We are in a universe of our own...slightly removed and waiting for something to happen that will put us back on the same track as everyone else.  My knee is actually getting worse, rather than better (11 months on), so the opening up can't come quick enough now.  My lovely physio did some massage and then tried to bend my knee backwards, whilst I was laying on my stomach, and it's now been really bad for a week :-(

My diary shows a quote by someone famous every week and for the week of my next operation it says 'There is no me.  I do not exist. There used to be a me, but I had it surgically removed.'  That's exactly how I'm beginning to feel!  Very astute of Peter Sellers!

• Posted

Pam as I read this post my tears stream.I didnt have a knee replacement as you brave people,but I  like to read other posts for confidence.I cant imagine how you felt when you burst into tears..Im so sorry you are going through so much.I am 8 weeks po from a trimalleolar ankle fracture...or othewords I broke it in 3 places,had surgery with a metal plate and screws to hold it together.Im having a hard time walking,and the swelling isnt even cute...I also have Lupus,and a inoperable brain tumor...so my little body is really fighting.I try my best day to day to be positive and be happy as I can.The pain is unbearable at times.I just want to lift you and say you can do this and some days will be worse than others.I write a journal it helps me alot.Remember its not fun but it could always be worse(or better) smile Its so easy to take anything for granted...anything.I just got back from Hawaii with my daughter..we had this cruise planned in April before my accident.I almost didnt go,but decided to NOT let my accident steal my joy of life.Did I get to do what I had planned?No I wanted to scubba dive,para sail walk in the sand and ocean swim...sad but did I have fun?You bet... cast and all,crutches and all,pain and all...I did it.I watched all the people taking walking for granted,and cried a few times..for them and myself..thing is with my health issues I have taken nothing for granted..why me right?Why not I say maybe it saved me from a shark attack?smile I will hopefully go back to Hawaii another time and continue my journey...I have had 35 surgeries,Drs have told me I wouldn't be alive for Ive had 5 brain surgeries before now...ha dare me Drs tell you different... smile Hang in there and to anyone reading this post..have strength,do the impossible,you can do anything you desire in time...the body is a wonderful thing.I like you all have alot more to do.Sorry didnt mean to post on your board smile but I do know what you are going through in a different way..blessings and good luck to all...dont be so busy in life you forget to really live....make a bucket list of all the things you want to accomplish...Ive had fun doing that...nothing stops those that are motivated right like you are!
    • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. After what you are going through it seems I have little to moan about! I do feel a bit brighter today, friends are picking me up to take me for lunch and it's a lovely sunny day, which I always think makes everyone feel much better. Av appointment with consultant tomorrow so hopefully he can allay any fears I have about my knee, which may in turn settle my head down a bit. I've decided I'm just going to take one day at a time and not worry about "what maybe", I can't control it anyway so why waste time thinking about it. Onwards and upwards! 
  • Posted

Hi Dianne..sorry you feel that way I can relate I spent whole weekend in tears..I'm 4 weeks out and getting discouraged. .but today I woke up and went to pt they said I'm bending better..OK great but I have lots of pain in my lower leg so I told the girl and she got out her magic tape.. that's what I call it..it's tape she uses to hold muscles and parts together I swear it works wonders next time you go ask them about it..just regular medical tape.maybe it will help..I felt so good I came home and walked almost 3 miles..well I'm paying for it icing and pain med now..this site is amazing and no 2 people are alike we all heal differently..please keep positive and know we all are her for you..hope the tape helps..take care Kim

• Posted

Hi Kim,

Thank you I will ask my physio about the tape.

I hope things keep improving for you it sounds like you are doing really well.

take care Diane 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.