6 weeks post op trimal surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just got out of my cast after wearing it for 4 weeks and now I’m in a boot, still non weight bearing for 4 more. I was instructed to do ROM exercises twice a day. I’m hoping at the next appointment (10 weeks post op) I will be able to start PT and weight bearing. Does anyone have any advice for the next 4 weeks while I am in the boot? It feels so weird not having the protection from the cast anymore 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was in exactly the same spot about a week and a half ago. The first time I took off the boot, I legitimately sobbed in fear. A day later I was able to take it in and or without issue. The first time I crutched the tiny distance from my bed to the bathroom without putting the boot back on I cried every step because I was so convinced I would fall and re-injure my leg. I can definitely do that short walk now with only a protective fear that keeps me safe. It took me two nights to feel safe enough to sleep without the boot—but what helps me is to remember the screws are going to keep your ankle safe. The boot is just there to provide /outside/ protection. The first time I did the range of motion stuff too it scared the crap out of me—but it does get easier and every time you make a tiny bit of progress your brain learns it’s less scary and it gets better. You can do it! 
    • Posted

Thanks! I can only take mine off to move it around twice a day. Any idea of when you will be weight bearing, out of the boot and maybe driving? 
    • Posted

I go back to my doctor on the 30th of July and if all is well, I’ll start partial weight bearing then, working toward full weight bearing over three or four weeks. Hopefully driving by mid August. 
    • Posted

My next appointment is the 31st and I’m hoping to start weight bearing and driving soon! It’s my right foot so I’m really crossing my finger that I will be walking in a normal shoe and driving my the end of August.. I haven’t gotten many answers on the recovery process timeline
  • Posted

Hello , I had orif trimal surgery 1 year ago... pt is time where you push yourself to work on your range of motion, also your progress is made when you do the pt at home as well. Make sure to get a tennis ball for the bottom of your feet. It took about 10 weeks for me to do partial wb. 40-60 lbs and two weeks time you progress to 80-100. Keep listening to your doctor 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.