6 weeks post ORIF...advice

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I'm 6 weeks out from my ORIF and was supposed to have my x rays tomorrow to see of I could start weight bearing. The surgeon just called and had to reschedule for next Friday. I'm so upset and I'm pretty much done with this stuff now. My question is, how do you start weight bearing? Do you just stand up and start walking or do you ease into it slowly?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tks, I'm 4 weeks since op and I also wanted to know how do I know what physical therapist to choose. Will they referr me to one and will he make the decision on how much wb I will be doing 

• Posted

I was going crazy fantasizing about walking and then as of last Thursday, I was told I can walk in my moon boots (broke both ankles), I was over the moon, but since then I am in much more pain, and my ankles/feet are swelling, but it does feel good to walk.  Melissa, I feel your pain, it is really hard to wait, but please try to occupy your mind and wait it out, I wish this site had a chat room where we can talk in real time.
    • Posted

OMG two ankles!!! You must be so strong to even get up on your legs when in those moonboots. They are so heavy, and found it a pain with just one!! I hope your not in too much pain, as pain in one ankle is enough. Thank God my boot is now collecting dust. This has and still is one hell of a journey, and even more for you, I wish you well. Sx
    • Posted

You know you can private message from little envelope above.  Took ne a while to find this out. I'm not too tech savvy 

• Posted

You need stretching exercises first. There's many on YouTube. You can't go wrong using this time to stretch the tendons. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.