6 weeks post ORIF and just had my cast off

Posted , 5 users are following.

Had accident 19th Sep

ORIF surgery 26th Sep

Cast changed 17th Oct

Cast off and final X-ray 7th Nov

Non weight bearing since the accident and today the doctor said he is happy for me to Full weight bearing... but cannot get me PT today so I left with no help or instruction on what to do next... I asked about the walking boots he said no, no need...

I still feel quite a bit of pain, lot of bruises and still pretty much swollen.

I tried to put my foot down for the first time since the accident, standing still with 2 crutches and straight away pins & needles at my heel... I am not dare to put any weight on my inject side.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should be trying for the next couple of days? I don’t think they can book me in for PT anytime soon.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Carol x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just be very gentle. Try and do as much as possible, but do it slowly and carefully.
  • Posted

Hi Carol

As Dr has said you can now put weight on it thats fine.  Broke my ankle in June this year so I know what you are going through.  Try and walk I know it will be painful but you have to start.  Then rest as much as you can and put your foot up and if needed use ice.  My Ankle swells up quite badly still following my exercises.

Put some weight on it now, the quicker you start its better.  For the pain take some pain relief it will help you anything from boots chemist.  Try at night if the foot bothers you sleep with it raised up.

We have all gone through what you are going through now, little steps everyday. The Dr told me anything from 9 to 12 months for full recovery.

Hope this helps you.

Paul x 

• Posted

I'd suggest ankle range of motion exercises as you need to start getting your ankle moving. I was allowed to do these while NWB as I was in a boot so I already had good ROM when I was allowed to start walking:

1) With your legs straight out first pull your toe up towards the ceiling (i.e. full dorsifelxion), then try to point your toe down towards the opposite wall (like a ballerina). Do 10 sets of 3. Just go as far as you can. If you have your good foot do it at the same time you'll see your "target" and be able to judge just how reduced your range of motion is in the injured foot.

2) Separate your two feet a bit (still out and flat) and draw circles with your toes. The idea is to use your ankle joint, so try to keep the rest of your leg still. First go clockwise and then counterclockwise. Again you can have both legs do it so that you can compare your range of motion. 3 sets of 10 in each direction

3) The final exercise is to write out the letters of the alphabet with your foot. Again the idea is to move your toes (using your ankle not your whole leg). This is one I could only ever do with one foot at a time.  I went through the whole alphabet once.

Just be very gradual about getting the weight onto your foot. That's likely what your PT will suggest. Start very small (maybe 20% only at first) using your crutches and work your way up incrementally. I've read that you can use a home scale to test how much weight you are actually placing on the leg.

Keep up with your elevation, rest and icing in between taking short "walking practice" sessions. That's when you can do the ROM exercises (when you are resting). I did mine at least 3 times a day. 

• Posted

Hi Carol - looks like we are on the same timeline - accident 25th September, ORIF surgery 26th September, cast changed 11th October, cast removed and final X-ray 8th November! My doctor told me that’s it go walk and I’ll see you in 3 months! How are you getting on now? I’m still with 2 crutches and still painful and stiff. Having to fight to be referred for physio but proving a losing battle at the moment!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.