6 weeks post-ORIF (sport injury)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone!! Super exciting news!! After six weeks post-ORIF surgery I am in a small brace and walking 100% on my own!! Was also cleared to start cheerleading practice the first week of January and compete nationally the third week! I broke my fibula pretty bad on October 23rd and had ORIF surgery on October 31st. After about 2-2 1/2 weeks of non-weight bearing, I began to slowly start putting weight on my broken leg due to a pretty bad sprain to my good ankle (I'm a mess lol). To be clear I also did quite a bit of scholarly research where they found weight bearing as tolerated after ORIF was perfectly safe and actually made the healing process faster/smoother. I became very comfortable doing this and found it to be less dangerous than using crutches in the Minnesota weather. At my six week checkup (where I was supposed to begin putting partial weight on my leg) they were so impressed with the healing and my range of motion/lack of pain that they let be done with the boot! In the beginning this seemed like such a long recovery and I was SO surprised when they let me walk out of there with a small brace and no physical therapy. Within 9 weeks after my surgery I will be back on the cheerleading mat doing what I love (also what broke my leg in the first place lol). I just wanted to share my story to give hope to others (especially athletes hoping to return to their sport/activity!!). The recovery process is so important and I was so surprised with how fast this went by for me! Anyone have a similar experience ??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is sooooooo encouraging to hear!!! I suffered from a trimallelalor ankle fracture February 2nd and had ORIF surgery February 11th. My doctor says he's confident I'll be back to 100% , but I've been pretty torn reading so many of these stories. I know so many factors such as age age and injury play into recovery, BUT this just confirms what my doctor has already told me! I haven't tried WB yet. I'm terrified that I'll re-injur myself. Thank you for your story- it has given me hope! CONGRATS on your healing! ENJOY your ability to walk!!! Something we take for granted- I sure know I did! xoxoxoxoxo

• Posted

I so hope everything is going well for you! It was hard to think I'd ever walk the same again, but to be honest I usually can't even tell I ever broke my leg now! Recovery is different for everyone but I'm hoping for you!!!

• Posted

Congratulations! I assume if you are doing cheerleading you are fairly young and healthy and an athlete so your recovery should hopefully be fairly quick assuming no complications.As you get older and/or are less in shape, recovery may take longer. Being athletic and exercising, especially weight lifting, can make a huge difference in recovery time from injuries as well as help prevent them.

I highly recommend getting physical therapy however and do exercises to rebuild strength and flexibility. I broke my left ankle 20 years ago and didn't have physical therapy and lost a good amount of flexibility and range of motion as a result. I had been told I didn't need it and to just walk etc. to restore it. I was young and didn't realize I should have pushed for it. With my right ankle break 4 months ago, I've had physical therapy all along and have full range of motion already as long as I keep doing my stretches and exercises.

So I'd check again on the physical therapy again, at least for a few weeks to make sure you are recovering right and what exercises to do to keep it strong and flexible.

• Posted

I was very surprised when they said I would not be doing PT!! I can definitely tell I don't have 100% flexibility still but I'd say about 90+!

• Posted

Is it possibly to message you privately because I think I have an identical injury with same amount of screws. Doctor has allowed me to start weight bearing at 2.5 weeks as well and I just wanted to know how you started it as I'm a bit scared too put too much pressure. I'm also young and an athlete that would like to rehab this as quick as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.