6 weeks post Talo Navicular fusion and just gone into boot

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had surgery on my right foot on 21st June. I had a half cast for 2 weeks, then had that off and had a lightweight fibreglass cast for a further 4 weeks. Last Thursday I had that removed, joint x-rayed and consultant put me in a boot and crutches and said to walk as much as I was comfortable with. In 6 weeks he said I should be in normal shoes after my appt with him. I know its only 4 days in a boot and I am walking reasonably sensibly, stepping through with my good foot on crutches, but I have to walk and then elevate or it swells. Its also very very achy (not painful) and I'm scared that I wont lose this before I go back in 6 weeks time. I have been told I only need to wear boot when up on it, so no wearing at night. Has anyone else had this bad aching. I certainly wouldnt want to try walking without the crutches although I can stand up and sit down without them.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

No pain at all in the operated ankle - just in the b---dy forefoot and toes from the infection!   There is a bit of swelling, again in the foot, and can't tell whether it's the operation or the athletes foot.  I can move the joint quite well and it really doesn't hurt, just a bit stiff from swelling.   I can walk without crutches on nice soft carpet, barefoot!

• Posted

I have started to walk with crutches and normal shoes for as much of the day as I can now, as most of the pain is coming from my ankle area which I am assuming is due to it being kept stiff within the cast for ll those weeks and now pretty rigid in a boot. I am getting frustrated though as I can only stand for around 10 mins at a time and then need to sit down. Grrr Want to be back to being able to do things. I know I need to have patience but I have so much I need to be doing.cry
    • Posted

I don't know which of us is in the most frustrating state!   I have no pain from the operation site but am still suffering from sharp pains and swelling in my forefoot.  I have just been to see a dermatologist, a sweet senior chap, who said it wasn't due to athletes foot but couldn't for the life of him say what it was!

I can walk around easily enough with just one crutch or none at all but the forefoot is too swollen and tender to wear anything but a hospital sandal-thing.   Not much good for. farm work!   

You have been given the all clear as to the state of the fusion?  Mine has been declared very good and I sshould be given the all clear in two or three weeks but not much good if I can't wear normal footwear.

• Posted

Oh thats not good is it! You want to get back to normal just as I do but with a swollen foot which is still painful its not happening. As you say not much good for out and about on a farm! 

At my last appt I was given a boot and told to walk as much as possible with the expectation I would be back in normal shoes by 13th Sept. I still wear the boot but spend a little time each day in normal shoes as my ankle was so stiff and painful from being kept at a right angle for so long that I felt I needed to start to at least get it moving again. I am still using both crutches although can use one on occasion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.