6-weeks post tri-moeller ORIF, follow up next week, what to expect?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone. I broke my dislocated my ankle (and broke a few bones) rollerskating on June 5th. Had surgery June 11th - 11 screws and a plate.  Follow-up appointment on June 27th to switch me to an air cast and then I've had four weeks in an air cast. Good things: Pain is almost completely gone, incisions are mostly healed (a couple scabs left, some spots that look like normal (albeit scarred) skin. Still have swelling daily, and still need to ice regularly and I do have to take advil and tylenol with some regularity (every 6 hours or so). 

My question is this: my follow-up, can-I-walk-yet-doc appointment is on August 1st (Next Wednesday). I know I won't leave the appointment just walking like normal. I know I'll leave the appointment (likely) in a walking boot. But I have no idea what else to expect? Anyone else have the same injury and same recovery timeline? What did it look like as you worked your way back to normal walking? I'm got decent RoM in my ankle-- side to side and back to front--but I'm really worried about how atrophied my calf muscle is and terrified I'll always walk with a limp.  How did your recovery go? How many weeks were in you in a boot? Walking with crutches? Etc. etc. 

Help! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had a trimal fracture w/ dislocation in December 2017. Surgery with one plate and a bunch of screws 12/22/17. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks. At 6 weeks I was moved from a cast to a walking boot and told to start weight bearing as tolerated. It took me about a month to go from walking with 2 crutches to no crutches. I started w/ physical therapy quickly after moving from cast to boot. My ROM was pretty horrible after being in the cast, which I think caused me to progress slower w/ my walking. After 6 weeks of walking w/ the boot, I was told I was healed and allowed to walk in shoes. I'm currently 7 months post op. I can normally walk w/ out a limp, though if I'm tired or have been sitting too long, it returns. I can lightly jog. My ROM isn't back to normal, but it's pretty good. I continue to get better at everything. You'll get back to normal.

• Posted

Hello Cheyenne, I’m 1 year from broken ankle , dislocated , 2 plates and 7 screws. I’m actually running 3 miles a day and back to normal things I was doing before the injury. I’m never in any pain but sometimes my ankle reminds me of the injury. Now to your question, your next visit depends on the X-rays to the ankle and how it’s healed. The doctor may allow 40-60 lbs wb with crutches and in two weeks 80-90 lbs wb. Everything depends on how your ankle is healing. When you start 80-90 lbs wb you might be able to do it without the crutches but be careful not push to soon. I was in the boot for about 4 weeks and I took the boot off and started walking in tennis shoe but everyone is different. Your rom takes 6 mth to 1 year. Physical therapy was a big help to me because I didn’t know what to expect . My injury was a 3 mth injury 

• Posted

Exactly 4 months ago I had a similar operations, theb 3 weeks in a cast and six weeks in a boot. I never used crutches , only a zimmer sometimes for support. A months ago 2 biggest screws were removed. I walk normally now and can walk up tp 2 or 3 miles but my ankle swells and gets uncomfortable. Still need to elevate and ice and do exercices daily. I have been told that I have made very good progress but I am impatient for full recovery.
  • Posted

Hi,

I had my surgery on April 17th for a trimalleoar break with dislocation.   I spent 4 weeks non weight bearing then started PT, after a few more weeks working on ROM, I was allowed to gradually start with more and more weight with crutches.  I was moved to an ankle brace and continued  the weight bearing until I got to the point where I am in regular shoes ( athletic shoes) and am walking with only the support of a cane when needed..  i won’t win any races, and I’m pretty slow, but walking and everyday it gets a bit better. Still in PT to help with my gait and ROM but doing pretty good. I had some complications, nerve damage from the surgery, so my recovery is about a month behind.   So everyone’s recovery is different...my advise is to not be so hard on yourself..they were times when I would have a great couple of days and think I was well on my way to full recovery, followed by a day or two of more pain and having to Iice and elevate.  Listen to your PT and do your home exercises..it may seem like forever, but it will happen..try to be patient and remember that you will walk...and run again

• Posted

All the replies were great , I used this patient site to help me when I was in recovery. It helped me tremendously. I had my doubts about if I would ever walk straight let alone run again. This was the worst time of my life not being able to do for myself and had to rely on my wife to take of me . Broken ankle in 3 places ; dislocated, 2 plates and a lot of screws but with prayer and belief I recovered well and so will you. Yoga class last night and 2 miles this morning tk you Jesus all is well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.