6 weels post open fracture dislocation surgery please advise

Posted , 4 users are following.

On the 28th of August i had surgery and k wires inserted in my right foot to repair a dislocated open fracture.

Last week i could not get to my hospital appointment and the dressing ended up being left on the wound for 2 weeks. Yesterday when i gone to my appointment they said the dressing had burnt into the wound and they had to pry it from the skin causing it to bleed. They said it was at risk of infection and booked me in for a wound check next week.

Noticed today that my dressing has a blowny, green colour to it. I'm not sure if this is just blood or infection. Image is on the link below. I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this looks infected.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2lbmb1k&s=9

K wires was also removed yesterday and i was told that i can now lightly weight bear. They also said that they wasn't sure if the k wires had worked to fix the injury until they check the x ray results next week.

I'm experiencing a fair bit of pain when weight bearing although i can still move my toes. Could this be a indication that the surgical procedure has not worked to fix the injury? very concerned.

Thanks smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I too had an open fractured ankle and the colour could be blood mixed in with any iodeen left on your skin from your operation...as i too experienced a green liquid pouring through my bandages x fingers crossed thats all it is good luck with your recovery x

• Posted

You are right, they did put a iodine dressing on the wound that was orange in colour, hope its that smile

Just as a side note question, did you feel pain when you first started bearing pressure on the leg/foot?

• Posted

Yes, maybe I think it does you should go to your doctor and have them check it out. Just to be on the safe side remember it's your foot. Take Care💕Wish you all the best and hope it's nothing!smile

• Posted

Thanks smile to be on the safe side, i will try and get a appointment with the after hours surgery.
  • Posted

Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know if its normal for pain when just starting to bear pressure on the foot?

Fair bit of pain in the ankle and foot, nothing extreme and easily bearable.

They said that the surgery might not have worked, they won't know until they check the x ray next week. So I'm a bit worried that the pain is a indication that it has not worked. But then i think, well surely its going to be painful with me not using it in so long.

• Posted

Hi Paul! I fractured my ankle in 2 places 3 months ago and was in a cast for 8 weeks. Trying to walk on my injured foot was very painful and very stiff as well. I was told by the doctor and physiotherapist to expect pain and stiffness indefinitely. Your doctor should give his/her opinion and maybe refer you to a physiotherapist when it is time.  If I were you I would put minimum weight on your injured ankle until your X-ray is read. I hope everything goes well for you Paul.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.