6 wks post op-physical therapy is a nightmare

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am able to bend my knee to 102 degrees on my own after the knee excercises in today's session. However they manipulated it to 117 degrees cause that's the correct number to be at. Each time I go, they want me to add 3 more degrees. I have been told it makes the therapist look good on paper but it sure as heck does not make me feel good. I know there is pain in the recovery but not the kind to make you scream stop and bring you to tears. I'm ready to switch therapy groups. So what if they make you get to the desired bend at the end of your visits, how is that helping anyone if they are manipulating it? I have pain everyday and swelling and can't stand to even ride in a car or lay on my side yet in bed. Everyone is different I know in the healing process. Looking for any advice on this and everything else on this road to recovery. Thanks!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a similar session last week Sassanach.  It hurts like hell and painkillers don't help with that sort of pain.  It took me about the week to be free of that pain.  With my physiotherapist she won't be doing that all the time and she said that my bend is great.  If they were going to continue that I would definitely be finding someone else.

• Posted

in UK I had no one forcing my knee and it all worked out fine. So there must be a choice in there somewhere. You are in charge. Well, your knee is to a certain extent, but it is your knee! Listen to your body, respect the healing process, nudge it gently along bit by bit. It cannot be rushed along. Well, I have said more than enough, you know where I am coming from!
    • Posted

Thanks for your support and advice! Already checked on another therapy place I will go to if the main therapist were I'm at now does me that way again. His assistant and I had a talk at Monday's session and as long as I can work with her I'll stay so I made it a point to schedule only with her. If something comes up and I have to see him and go through it all over again I'm switching.

• Posted

Sounds very good. Good relationships are vital...support!

Take a look at my profile and skim through my blog if it helps. It was written to convey the need for patience, something our cultures in the western world are not really geared up to!

Everyone's experience is different and we cope with things in different ways. I found reading about others experience of TKR very helpful before the surgery. It is good to prepare as much as possible in all respects. I also found it helpful to jot down little steps of progress and improvement after the surgery, because it is so easy to not appreciate the improvements which are made. Keeping a journal is a good idea. You can the look back on the experience and the progress you make, and appreciate what a massive and hugh acheivement it is! Maybe share it on here and help other people too!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

You asked about sleeping. It took me to about 3 months before I could sleep on my side. I'm five months now and can sleep with a pillow between my legs. The knee will hurt if I lay in one position to long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.