6 year old child sickness help!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

So my 6 year old is always feeling sick when it comes to food, before after and during she’s feeling sick and is never actually sick. She’ll eat a bit then we have to go to the toilet because she feels sick. It’s not with any particular food and she is an extremely healthy child (maybe to healthy!) she chooses to have salads and pastas for her Dinners. We’ve been to the doctors a couple times as it’s been going on well over a year. They’ve given her gaviscon and it doesn’t help she’s not in pain there’s no burning so there’s no point in giving it her. They said it could be her been picky or the consistency of the food but she chooses her meals the ones she likes so I don’t really think it’s that. I feel like it’s more psychological than physical. There’s a lot of pressure on them at school to be healthy and she takes everything to heart so I don’t know if this has had an affect on her. I just wondered if anyone else has had to deal with anything similar to this and how? It’s really starting to get her down she’s been to her friends and they’ve had to bring her home because she’s feeling this way and they think she’s actually ill.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi jade that is awful that nobody has responded to you. If your child is Dyspraxic then it is possbile that they have some sensitivties around food, which could be autism related, it could be touch related, maybe your child was ill at some point over food and hasn't forgotten it. You may need to get your child to see someone about this if you haven't done so already and build diet SLOWLY so your child can cope. If the school is decent enough then it will hopefully understand your child is apprehensive over food and not to push them to eat, thus making the fear worse. I know this too well as an ADULT with Dyspraxia, who has been finally diagnosed with coeliac disease I really struggle with food, as I too fear certain foods will make me ill. Your poor child and you, Dyspraxia is awful to live with isn't it? I wish you luck and hope some of this is now sorted for your sakes.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

thank you for your reply.

weve finally got to the bottom of if and its linked with anxiety....shes petrified of putting weight on. we have managed to get it a bit more under control by talking with her about food choices and explaining that its absolutely fine to have a treat every now and then and if she continues to make the right choices with food that she wont put weight on but she will get a little bigger as she gets older and that's normal. we still have some bad days but not as often! 😃

• Posted

hi jade, it's so important she realises she is who she is and size doesn't matter. you can be very skinny and rude, or you can be 20 stone and have a heart of gold. just enjoy her life, that's all.

• Posted

We're all aware that certain illnesses are more common in kids -- the common cold, chicken pox, croup. But the diseases themselves are not the only thing unique to children: The experience of being ill is also different for kids, and each age group has a different understanding of "being sick." As a parent, it helps to know what your child is thinking and feeling when he becomes ill so that you can help comfort your child and teach him or her about being sick... and, of course, about staying well.

You should consult your pediatrician for this problem, your pediatrician will explain you the illness and the cure for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.