6 year old daughter-sense of running and spinning incontrolably

Posted , 2 users are following.

Need any advice to similar scenarios-daughters conditions are constant running sensation which is accompanied with spinning uncontrollably it is manageable once awake but never goes she fighting spleeping adding to sleep deprevation as when she sleep she would jerk wake up screaming uncontrollably with the running sensations so intense I cannot snap her out of it for at least 10 t 15 mins she is so scared to sleep because of this I believe it to be a neurological disorder of some type .her blood count is ok MRI indication no swelling-past medical conditions are she has anxiety recognised at 2 years onward s sensativity to light sensitivity to sound frustration while on tasks hyperness,difficulty calming down and regulating breathing,difficulties sleeping,restlessness,figiting,biting and chewing on things all day everyday unaware she is doing it panic attacks which have played a vital role I believe in increasing the running atttacks she is currently enduring .her behaviour since this onset intensely 5 days ago has seen a dramatic difference in her personality E.g.: dazed,dosile,unresponsive momentarily ,forgetfulness .............

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. has your daughter been diagnosed with Autism, when children spin like their out of control ie, spinning running arm flapping and lots of other movements it is called 'sensory seeking', I know this can be distressing to some parents, but when a child does this it actually helps them, it can soothe them they it helps them feel feel sort of in control. Sensory issues are very typical, it can be to light, noise, food clothes and a whole heap of other things. You say that she sometimes appears  to be unable to control her breathing, you could try and teach her deep breathing techniques using a hand mirror it also acts as a distraction. You do not say how old your daughter is now, ASD can become more pronounced as a child gets older. Especially as they try to navigate everyday life. It can be a nightmare for the children and their parents, with the behaviour you have described and meltdowns, refusal and all sorts of things. I think the most important thing is to realise whatever is going on with your child its not your fault and its not personal, its how these children make sense of the world. I dont know where you live but you can go to you GP  and ask for an ASD assessment it can be a very long and drawn out process but it will be worth it you can also contact any of the amazing charities to get information and help just type into google or similar and there is a mine of information available. I really understand how difficult it can be I raised my eldest son who is high functioning Autism , and I have 4 grandsons who also have Autism, adhd and lots of other issues that can be extremely challenging, but having said that they light up our lives. Good luck with everything x 

• Posted

sorry just realised you say your daughter is 6 is she in mainstream education, what are the school doing to meet her educational needs, she should have a educational plan, if not you need to speak to the school SENCO good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.