6 year old iron low....

Posted , 6 users are following.

My 6 year old son has been ill for a few weeks now. He has been complaining of joint pain in the hips and knees. He is constantly tired and wants to sleep, very cranky and complaining of sore heads and feeling sick.

The GP ran blood tests last week and his iron level is low (at 7 and the GP said it should be 14)

The doctor said he is unsure of what to prescribe because of his age and he might just need to give me an adult iron tablet to crush up for him??? So I am waiting on the GP phoning me back when a prescription is ready. 

My son eats a good diet that includes iron rich foods including red meat, seafood, green veg etc and he takes a multi vitamin that includes iron everyday. 

My friend is an ANP and she reckons that I should ask for it to be investigated further.

Can anyone advise and help ease my worry please. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Two things. Firstly I would agree with your friend that it does need to be investigated further as your son is is clearly not at all well, joint pain is not normal with IDA.  From your description, it sounds like something in addition to iron deficiency anaemia.  Secondly, I am not sure why your son would need the adult iron tablets to be crushed for him, especially when he is already taking multi vitamin tablets so he clearly does not have a problem with tablets.

By the way, what is an ANP?

Gill

• Posted

Hi, don't wish to be alarmist, have you heard of juvenile Rheumatoid arthritis, wonder if GP would check for this?, but you definitely need more investigations I would have thought.

• Posted

Have you ever thought of giving him liquid chlorophyll? Make sure you are not giving him too much red meat, Also try juicing sweeten it with green apples, and of course, make sure he is drinking enough water.   Try this and see if it works.   
  • Posted

Hi, my son is low in iron, he's 3 been taking iron supplements from the doctor had bloods done again, haven't gone up much so now awaiting blood results for celiac disease. Then whatever the results say, have to be referred. Really am worried as I suffer with anxiety, and all I'm doing is googling. He's fine in himself a bit pale through lack of iron that's all. But can't stop worrying, any replys would be much appreciated. Your not alone x

• Posted

Hi 2littleboys,

When you say your son eats a good diet, has this always been the case, and have you always supplemented with MultiVits ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.