60 days, should I have it removed? What to expect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a 5mm stone about 2cm from by bladder.  My doctor says we can continue to wait (the stone was diagnosed two months and has moved from close to the kidney to almost the bladder) or he can retrieve it using ureteroscope basket.

My symptoms are fairly mild back pain with a few medium to bad days, but this has been going on for 2 months and I would like to things to return to normal.

My doctor says there is only a 1 or 2 percent chance I would need a stint.  Has anybody had the ureteroscope basket? If so how much pain was involved? What should I expect afterwards painful urination?  How long to recover?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Ask about lithotripsy which is a much less invasive procedure.
  • Posted

Hi it  took  me 6 weeks to pass my last stone which was 6 mm so my advice would be to wait.Ive read some bad things about the stint.Just keep the fluids up.
  • Posted

Hopefully youll be able to pass a 5mm stone,im sure it wont be easy and youll be in pain but much rather that than intervention.

Some people have no problem with stents at all and others really suffer with them.

I found that they were extremley uncomfortable boarding on painful but i only had mine in for 3 weeks so could cope with that.

Keep drinking as much as you can and hopefully nature will take its course.

• Posted

If it is heading it wayout and would let nature takes its course.  Stents are horrible things, very painful to have in (take it from someone who knows), or alterntavily lithotripsy to blast the stone maybe easier.

I would agree with the 1st comment off Steff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.