60 mg Citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I have a few diagnoses and one of them is OCD.

I have been taking Citalopram since 2009 when I was 15 yo and it is the most effective antidepressant for me.

Last year my pdoc increased my dosage to 60 mg.

After a few months of taking it the pharmacist told me that the max dose is 40 mg.

When I said that to my pdoc she said that it is not true and that for OCD the recommended dosage is 60 mg.

I really love my pdoc, she is very compassionate and she trusts me.

Should I continue taking 60 mg Citalopram?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The pharmacist is correct.  She is also more qualified than a doctor re doseages.  The maximum dose for Citalopram is 40mg due to a heart safety warning on doses over that.  You can find it anywhere online - get your doctor to look.

Why did your doctor increase you anyway if you've been ok on 40mg?

Personally I wouldn't take 60mg, but please see your doctor before stopping.  Sooner better than later.

• Posted

Thanks, I told her our previous meeting that I'm afraid of taking 60mg and we lowered it to 40mg but I still wanted to check it out online.

• Posted

Yes the safety update was issued by letter to healthcare professionals by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on 24th October 2011. The product information of each drug was also updated.

It might be different if you're in another country of course.

K xx

• Posted

Okay thank you, I am in a different country but I think I should stay on 40 mg. I tried upping to 60 mg and it made me really drowsy so I think I will continue taking 40 mg as I was taking this year with my pdoc's approval.

• Posted

Sounds a good idea.  Check with your doctor too - or let her know about staying on 40mg.

Hope it goes well.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.