60 units a week

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've posted in the past, lately I've been drinking every evening. When I say drinking it's either four cans or half a bottle of wine each week evening.

Weekends it all goes out of the window though, I drink too much. 

Whilst I know there are people in worse situations what is everyone's honest opinions on 60 units of alcohol a week?

I would like to talk to my GP about the possibility of medication to beat the habit but I'm embarrised, will I then be registered and alcoholic? 

My partners business could be affected.

0 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, my average per week across this year is 62 units and I normally only drink Fri, Sat & Sun.  By the NHS that would be considered really high 3 times their highest allowance for a woman in a week!  But I would be happy if I had an average of 30 - 40 per week because I would know that would mean I had not got drunk!
    • Posted

Hi Em, 

Yeah mine is more widespread, I've spoken about it with a friend and he just says I don't smoke and I keep active so I shouldn't worry. 

It's not that easy though, I look at him and he's only drinking twice a week, I'm sure he'd be more concerned if he was putting away the units I was. 

When I look at it four cans seems pathetic, I don't even feel like I've had a drink the day after. That's what makes it so pointless, to me the beer/wine is like my cig, I need it to unwind at the end of a busy day in the office. 

• Posted

Do you think that you could stop if you wanted to or is it now a case that the pattern is set and you would go mad if you didnt have them.  You say four cans is not much and believe you me, affect wise, I am like you it wouldn't even touch the sides but its still at least 7.2 units and that is considered, by the medical profession, a binge every night!
    • Posted

I should add that my main concern for myself is the out of control drinking where I dont have the switch off that most people have.  I have a few drinks and then find its the next day and I cant remember getting home or anything I said and did after about 10pm, its not a good feeling and I know its bad for my health so I am trying to fix it.  TSM I have read about sounds like it will really help me so I am trying that route.  Although I know that my extended family will not understand why I need a pill to do what comes naturally to all of them i.e. be in control of my drinking not the other way round!
    • Posted

To be honest Em I am the life and soul with my mates when I go out, the biggest issue is I've got a reputation of crashing and burning. I often get carted off in a taxi as I've drank so fast I'm in a state. 

That's another concern of mine, it seems I can't really control myself when in a social setting either. 

I'm thinking of seeing my doctor as well, if there is something that can help me stop drinking on such a regular basis I'm going to have it.

My children deserve a dad for the next 50 years not 20.

• Posted

Hi dfaz.. do not worry about asking your gp for help....you will not be registered as an alcoholic...

Your amount is above the advised limit, but it is not too bad....

However, it may be sensible to try to cut down, and have a least one day alcohol free...

I was like you, but I became a VERY BAD ALCOHOLIC VERY QUICKLY... I was sectioned four times, which actually saved my life...I know how hard it can be to change. But your gp can help you in many ways, also he. Or she will not judge you..

I truly wish you well, take care,,, Deirdre xx

• Posted

Cheers Deirdre,

Yeah I think I'm going to pop in and have a chat, I know that it's an issue I need to nip in the bud and address as like you say it could spiral out of control at some point. 

• Posted

There is no such thing as a 'registered alcoholic' Dfaz.

You ARE drinking too much and should ask your GP for advice and perhaps medical help to help you cut down or stop. It's not the 60 units now (although that is bad enough), it's the fact that it will escalate as you build a greater tolerance for alcohol and need an increasing amount to get the same hit.

• Posted

In all due respect Paul you work in a field that would suggest 30-40 units a week was dangerous. 

I'm not saying I don't respect your opinion as I really do but we all know there are people that make a lifetime of drinking at the level that I am. 

Personally it's of a concern as there has been evenings where I've battled in my head about having a drink, but then afterwards I think it's only been four cans of lager. I know it's a bad thing making a comparison but there are people drinking twice the amount I am a week. 

• Posted

No Dfaz. I am a realist and I know many people drinking above the recommended weekly unit limit of 21 units for men and 14 for women and I wouldn't consider them to be heading for serious trouble. Of course, as a qualified nurse, I have to pass on that advice about 21 and 14 but the people I deal with are often doing anything up to 40 units PER DAY!

But they also started on much smaller amounts and it escalated. It is worth recognising a potential problem and dealing with it and the fact that you are here suggests that you are considering it smile

• Posted

You need to stop burying your head in the sand and listen to Paul who has years of experience on alcohol addiction and others who have ended up 24/7 drinkers. We talk from experience. It's a progressive illness and will only get worse in time unless you do something about it. I was like you once and never dreamed my drinking would become dangerous. I lost a marriage, had to sell my business of 20 years and ended up in rehab 3 times, hospital many times,I could go on and on. If you can't have a few nights off from alcohol, can't stop when normal people can and/or your having black outs then you've got an alcohol problem. Listen to Paul who really knows his stuff. Good luck anyone who's trying to battle this horrendous disease. Just to add, I'm happier now I don't have to drink :-)
    • Posted

So there aren't people who can handle drinking?

Are you suggesting that there aren't people who don't live their lives drinking without ever really struggling. I don't think I will ever drink to level that will destroy my life. 

All I'm suggesting is it will affect my health, I think some are taking this too far, I'm never going to be that bad.

• Posted

This is such an emotive subject isn't it? 

I was interested in your reply to Paul, it seems you are wanting someone to say "That's fine dfaz, keep on as you are".  Noone can say that, some people will live to a grand old age on 60 units a day, but it's a bit of a gamble.

Paul is the expert, he isn't being a killjoy, he is just stating the facts as he knows them, using evidence gained by the medical statistics.

I drink every night, I don't consider myself an alcoholic, but I am definitely alcohol dependent.  I try to cut down, but find it hard.  I am lucky that I never feel the need to binge drink....it's more like self medication.  But I know I am putting my health at risk.  Sometimes that is how it has to be.....

You sound to be young, I am old.  I have less to be worried about.  My father died of liver failure at 64, he was a drinker...not an alcoholic by any means, perhaps he drank like me.  I am 67, so I have already lived longer than him. 

Oh, sorry, I just realised I have rambled on and it isn't what you want to hear at all, I guess your post just registered with me.

Anyway, if you are worried, your GP will be the best place to go.

Good luck.

Pat

• Posted

Thanks for your honesty Patricia. A good answer to a good discussion. Aren't we lucky to share and help each other battle this dreadful disease that millions suffer from and don't get the help they need. Keep posting. It helps us all :-)
    • Posted

Yes, yes, we ARE lucky Paper fairy, I have gained so very much from this site, from lovely people like you and from Paul. 

I have great respect for you.  Thank you for being here.

Pat.

• Posted

Thank you.

I'm 33, I've drank like this for the last 10 years, I have two children, I just want a life that see's me live another 50 years not 20 or 30. 

I know this drinking isn't going to help, I'm concerned, I'm just afriad to admit it.

• Posted

You already have admitted it my friend...as I have just admitted to myself too. That to me is the biggest step.. I am 45 and been on the increase every day since I was 28. I was very prone to huge binges at weekends, Fri, Sat and a Sunday daytime. I thought I was being good stopping that, but it has turned into 8-15 units a day even sometimes more 7 days a week...and I am starting to feel its affects. I was until recently the same as you, I will never be that bad...but here I am. I am that bad, worse than I thought I would...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.