60 units a week

Posted , 21 users are following.

I've posted in the past, lately I've been drinking every evening. When I say drinking it's either four cans or half a bottle of wine each week evening.

Weekends it all goes out of the window though, I drink too much. 

Whilst I know there are people in worse situations what is everyone's honest opinions on 60 units of alcohol a week?

I would like to talk to my GP about the possibility of medication to beat the habit but I'm embarrised, will I then be registered and alcoholic? 

My partners business could be affected.

0 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

hope you don't mind me joining the chat, not done this before but just wanted to chat with people that sound similar to me.. Tonight is my first drink free night in over a week and it's a rare thing I actually feel proud of myself for one night of not drinking which is pretty sad I feel. Thing is I get so bored without a drink and feel life's boring without it even though I'm active go to the gym work hard and have awesome family and friends. Going to the doctor tomorrow but thinking they will tell me I need to go counselling. Done this before.... Does anyone have any tips as I often drink a bottle a night and at the weekend it can go up to two.. I have met a lovely man that I'm madly in love with but worry I'm going to lose him as at the weekend I often pass out due to being too drunk- not sexy atall. help anyone please?

• Posted

I get bored without it as well, I think that makes us pretty sad to be fair, we need alcohol to keep us entertained. 

I know the local shop is still open and I know if my partner suggested it I'd go for a half a bottle of wine with her. I'm pretty weak when it comes to alcohol. 

That's the really sad part, it's such a minimal amount in the week that I can't really understand why I crave it so much. 

• Posted

Ultimately I've found waking up sober and without a hangover more of a pleasure than the actual evening drink. 

The feeling of constantly feeling tired and sweety was starting to take it's toll on me, I know if I can stay off the drink a few days I can build up my energy levels and get myself back in the gym.

Once I've done that I can then focus my attention on something that will become my goal and target. 

• Posted

Well done you! Think of the positives of not drinking which far out weigh the nasty negatives
    • Posted

Try and think of a morning without the feeling of being drunk the night before, you may not be blind drunk but you are still always aware that you've had a drink the night before. 

Think about waking up and feeling on top of the world, that's gotta be the positive spin you use rather than the feeling off needing that drink to get you through the evening. 

If that fails why not go to the cinema and watch a film, that will limit your drinking time period. Keep yourself occupied, that's what I plan on doing if I really feel like a drink. 

• Posted

100%, I'm feeling tired as we speak but I know the target goal is not to drink until the weekend, then I'm going to have a social drink and I'm going to follow the same process next week.

I have a problem with drink but I'm going to manage it, I'm going to be strong enough to control it. I can enjoy a drink without letting it rule my life. 

• Posted

But I can't go to the cinema every night, can I??

And I don't feel that bad in the mornings anyway.

Oh drat, I wish I had your strength.

Keep posting, I will be watching your progress..I think you are amazing.

• Posted

I know you can't go cinema every night, I'm talking about helping you have two or three days off a week. Find things to occupy your time, surely you can get out and do something for a couple of days at least. 

Once you know you can have them few days you can look to the future and plan how you go about possibly doing more. 

Thanks for the support, it's only been two days and I have to admit I've been bored to tears, it just goes to show how much I let me evenings be dominated by alcohol. Things have to change, I'm at the gym tonight which will leave me gagging for a drink, this is the big hurdle for me, the third day. I'm positive I can do it though. 

• Posted

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

Good luck today, I know you will do it.

• Posted

Dfaz I hope you achieve a level of alcohol that suits you. You are fully aware of the consequences and risks involved. At the end of the day it's down to you what you decide to do.
  • Posted

Well I didn't do the full week without a drink but I managed four full days with only four cans of lager on Wednesday. 

As said before I'm not going to stop drinking at weekend as I feel that's my pleasure after a hard week at work. To beat what I consider alcohol dependancy I need to stop the midweek week drinking. If I can achieve four days next week I will be overjoyed. If I do the three again I will be more than happy.

• Posted

Congratulations!!!!

You have done a great job.  I am happy for you and I hope you enjoy your weekend......you deserve whatever you decide to do with it.

Keep us informed on how you manage next week.  I will be watching out.

Pat xx

• Posted

dfaz well done. It's clear you are trying to make an effort to cut down on your drinking, unlike the other post re 200 units per week. If you fall off the wagon as I did on numerous occasions, please don't beat yourself up about it. Pick yourself up and start all over again. One day at a time and good luck. Please stay on the forum and let us know how you're doing
  • Posted

Hi Dfaz, you are doing VERY, very well.... take heart, I am a recovered alcoholic....near death very many times...and after a VERY long period of sobriety, ( sectioned four times. ) I CAN now have a couple of drinks once a week as I have lost all my tolerance to alcohol......

Getting dependant on alcohol was the very, very, worst time of my life...you can overcome it, and I am sure that you will...

GOOD luck to you...big hugs...Deirdre.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.