62 years old male alcoholic seeks help

Posted , 8 users are following.

I drink about 2 litres of cheap 4.5 percent alcohol by volume cider every day. If I don't I can't sleep and I feel very ill. My GP is unsymapathetic. I don't do AA it doesn't suit me. Any suggestions polease? I live in Plymouth Devon, alone.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Neville,

By already having been to your GP, are you looking for medically-assisted treatment?  You will see a treatment method mentioned a lot on this forum called The Sinclair Method.  Here is a brief description of what it is:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

If you think this is something that might be of interest to you, then I have just looked up your local NHS guidance.  Your local health authority have guided GPs to refer people looking for treatment with alcohol misuse to Harbour.  If you google Harbour Plymouth then you will find their website and you should be able to ring and self-refer yourself for an appointment.  This will save you having to go back to your GP again.

One of the medications that can be used for this method (naltrexone) is also approved in Plymouth to be prescribed to help reduce alcohol consumption - right down to abstinence if that is your goal.

You may need to take a print out of the guidelines with you to your appointment, so that after they have taken all your details you can show them the treatment that you would like to try, and then ask to see the prescribing physician there (sadly, a lot of the 'key workers' that you initially see do not know anything of medically-assisted treatment).

Reply to let me know if you think this is the route you might go and I will PM you the link to the guidelines that you need to show.

(Harbour are the allocated organisation in Plymouth to provide NHS treatment options for alcohol misuse, so even if you don't think The Sinclair Method is for you, then I would still suggest that you book that appointment with them and let them tell you what over forms of treatment they can offer you).

• Posted

Hi Joanna, i seem to be much oler than most on these posts, but I seem to be drinking more now than ever, I really dont know why, I have a non drinking partner and a nice houe etc, but I am worried sick, do you know if this Sinclair method is available in London please?
    • Posted

I believe Joanna is doing a charity event today and so may not be on until tomorrow.

But the answer to your question is yes. When Joanna is back, I'm sure she will be happy to find you the details for London. It may be that you need to narrow it down a bit, as London is fairly large. You can always PM Joanna, rather than give your location on the forum.

• Posted

Thank you!

Yes, yesterday was a killer of a day and I am in severe aching pain this morning.  5 hours 17 minutes cycling through the stupidly viscious hills of Yorkshire.  But I completed the course, coming over the same finish line that the professional cyclists used later in the day, got my finishers medal and more importantly raised nearly £1000 for C3 Europe.  cheesygrin

• Posted

Hi Pepper,

The medication needed for this method is approved on the NHS, yes.

As RHGB says, London has many NHS authorities, so please would you PM me the borough you live in, and whether that is the North, South, Central of West area of London.

Please also include your email address in the PM so that I can email you back all the information you need, including any links you may require etc. (it's easier doing that by email than PM).

Thanks

Joanna

• Posted

Well done on all counts Joanna 😊 .It sounds pretty gruelling to me .Take a bow 😁

• Posted

unreal!! You are a STRONG woman and I salute you!! Amazing achievement!! Super...Robin
    • Posted

Thanks to you all.  I admit that I haven't been capable of doing much at all today, other than catch up with emails.  Am SO shattered.  But it was worth it, as it has raised the money C3 needed to begin to expand our you tube channel later this year.

Since not many of you have seen what I actually look like, here is me at the end with my medal and a Erdinger AlkoholFrei which they give out at the end of the sportive ride - which tasted lovely and nothing at all like alcohol free beers used to taste like!  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who might be considering alcohol free.

• Posted

HI Neville and great reply from Joanna. Cannot anymore but Good Luck. Robin
  • Posted

I would consider what Joanna has said...and also although your GP is unsympathetic to your alcohol use...if you told him you stopped drinking..would he prescribe something for sleep?
  • Posted

Hi Neville , my advice too would be to consider seriously what Joanna has suggested. Good Luck and come back and let us know.  One thing you will realise is that there is a lot of support on this forum :-)
  • Posted

Hi Neveille,

Hope you are going to come back to your post.

I, along with others (I've been there) can offer help, but I'd just like to know that it wasn't a one off post.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.