68 ear Old With BPH For 6 Years Taking Terazosin 10 mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

Severe burning initially and tried Avodart for 6 months which didn't work. Also tried staying away from alcohol which didnn;t seem to make a difference,

Went to a University Doctor and started taking terazosin 10 mg and felt relief. I still had to go alot and had a weak stream.

I like a martini (vodka) a few times a week as well as red wine. Being in vacation for 3 months I did drink more and the 4rd month went into rention with my prostate inflammed. Had to go to emerghency and have a foley catheeter put in which relieved the pain.

The doctor prescribed finasteride (to shrink the prostate) and stayed on terazosin 10 mg.

I staopped drinking and dran cranberry juice and seem to be doing better. Going to have a bladder test tommorrow to see it it drains well. I suspedted it is my prostate that is causing the problem and can't wait to get this catheter removed.

Has anyone experience these issuse?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have had a short period of problems (3-4 month) with prostatitus but like you I feel that alcohol may be a factor, particularly red wine. Since I stopped drinking all alcohol and started a Gluten free food regime the problem seems to have almost gone. I returned to drinking my favourite red wine thinking that the gluten was the main cause but then symptoms, although not bad just uncomfortable, returned. I have stopped drinking alcohol again and symptoms are better (still staying off gluten). I plan soon to have a few weeks of drinking red wine again to see if there is a definite pattern. Does anyone know any reason why red wine may be linked to prostrate problems?
    • Posted

I have a reaction to red wine and don't know why.

Although red wine may do wonders for your heart, early research suggests that alcohol may be harmful to your pancreas. Using data from more than 10,000 men participating in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial, investigators uncovered that heavy alcohol drinkers (>50 g/day) and regular heavy drinkers (≥4 drinks/day on ≥5 days/wk) were twice as likely to be diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer as compared with moderate drinkers. Most of the heavy drinkers in the study drank beer, so researchers were unclear as to whether wine and spirits carry similar risks.

• Posted

Did you try introducing gluten to see if that was the cause?
  • Posted

I was on Terazosin for several years.  But I read (probably here) that Tamsulosin (similar drug, but newer formulation) was better.  My doctor agreed to prescribe it.  I found it significantly better that Terazosin -- particularly when combined with Finasteride.  
    • Posted

I will discuss Tamsulosin with my DR. Id all fails I am thinking about TUNA procedure.
  • Posted

Hi, your comment about drinking alcohol ( Using data from more than 10,000 men participating in the Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial, investigators uncovered that heavy alcohol drinkers (>50 g/day) and regular heavy drinkers (≥4 drinks/day on ≥5 days/wk) were twice as likely to be diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer as compared with moderate drinkers. Most of the heavy drinkers in the study drank beer) was quite interesting from the point of view that both whiskey and beer contain Gluten.
    • Posted

Beer contains gluten but whiskey does not, the distillation process removes the gluten.   I am gluten intolerant and enjoy a dram of single malt every now and then.   I've not had any problems with whiskey/whisky and it doesn't make my BPH symptoms any worse either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.