68 still fighting my GP

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm still fighting to stay on HRT got another palaver next week trying to get me off HRT, sick of it. I'm well I'm not over weight, I walk every day, I eat health and never smoked, only take 1mg of eastrogen a day what is her problem. I agree with someone else on here that said if it not broken don't fix it. I have been on HRT for about 25 years why should I suffer at my age coming off it I want to be enjoying my life.

I might have to start buying on line, GP said it's not safe. Does anyone on here buy on line? And are well taking it?

3 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The worst thing about it is we can't do anything about it. If your GP want to stop giving HRT they can. They can dish out much worst drugs and know one says a thing about it. My GP wanted to put me on tranculizers to help with the hot flushes, how bad is that. 

Wish we could get up some sort of patition or something. 

• Posted

I agree Lilliepop. It's in their hands unfortunately. Eleanor I take the oestrogen only following a hysterectomy and oophorectomy. Interesting you buy it online. Can I ask for how much?
    • Posted

I'm not sure you're right, Lillipop, in saying they can stop prescribing if they want to. I've heard different opinions on this, but certainly some say they are obliged to continue if the patient insists.  I believe they work on an 80:20 basis - 80% of women roll over and do as they're told and the other 20% fight until the doctors give in!   Well, let's hope that's true, anyway.   We should create a FB page for this debate!   On Gransnet there are masses of threads on this theme - some amusing, like the 80 year old who was outraged at coming off it and stuffed her cupboards with pills she bought online and shared with any friends in the same predicament!
  • Posted

Yes, I have the same problem, been purchasing the estrogen only type (hysterectomy) which apparently is the safer version too.  I have been purchasing from ______ for many years without any problems whatsoever.  Usually arrives 7-14 days no import tax.  They also have the combined pill but cannot remember which, you would need to search Hormones but also call their London number if you are unsure if they sell what you are looking for. They no longer sell zopiclone due to compliance with UK legislation 16.6.2014. If I run out of HRT then I'm back are the hot flushes etc. I purchase Estrofem 2mg. GP refuses to give them to me age 66 but stopped when I reached 60.  However I was told by a private endocrinologist in London that there is no reason why I should not take it for life but NHS doctors are too afraid to perscribe as against the ruling of NICE (their perscribing body). He also used to give me implants in my top thigh but I got fed up paying train fares/private fees down to London.  Nick Nicolas was my gynocologist and I am fairly certain he worked at St Thomas' Hospital in London.
    • Posted

Eleanor I'm interested to read you buy online, something I've always bee a bit sceptical about. I take the oestrogen only type. Would be interested to know the price
  • Posted

No I don't buy it on line yet but it looks like I might have to. My GP has warned me not to buy it she said it's not safe. I'm looking into it now. 

Im taking Estradiol valerat 1mg. The funny thing is the last lot of pills I got from the chemist was in a different box from abroad and Estradiolvalerat was one word on the box. I phoned up the chemist and said I'm not happy with the change in  as I'm getting a few hot sweats, they said they are the same as always. I don't want to make waves  with the doctor as she's got me over a barrel. 

Are the ones I'm taking the sames as yours? But under a different name.I have also had a hysterectomy years ago.

• Posted

I'm taking Hormonin. Just checked website they do not stop it unfortunately. I have found with other medication in the past that taking medication from a different manufacturer can be noticeably different.
  • Posted

That's very interesting I'm going to see the chemist next time when and if I get another HRT perscription.

• Posted

Most pharmacists will deny it but I read the posts on antihypertensive medication and Amlodipine in particular is one such drug. Brands by certain manufacturers cause different side effects.
  • Posted

I was wondering if I can insist on havering my original ones back. We shall see
    • Posted

I should think you can?Depends how good your relationship is with your GP and if you have any adverse symptoms?

My friend who had migraines was taken off like a shot !As they can be a stroke warning!

I wouldn't pay for it as I think your doctor should continue to prescribe?

Though I don't think hot flushes though not pleasurable are bearable? It's lack of sleep ,joint pain ,hair loss ,loss of libido and depression that would make most women miserable !

i think work with your doctor and see what he/she says?you have to ask for what you want and if they disagree ask why?Then if they haven't a good reason insist.it your body and your life!

• Posted

Yes I agree it's not only the hot sweats it's all the other things that come with it.
  • Posted

I came looking for help when I had to make an a phone conf with my GYN FOR THIS FRIDAY. I'm 68 yrs old and had a complete hysterectomy when I was 47. I was put on permarin from the get go. Then I was switched to low dose of Estrace. My last appt with my dr she told me to start cutting down. So now I'm on 4 a wk. I have hot spells once in a while I workout 5 days a wk doing cardio mostly. No big health issues but I have fibromyalgia and have had 2 back surgeries. Only cancer in my family is due to smoking. I don't. I only get 3 1/2 hrs of sleep because of the fibro and I take Ambien. My obgyn told me that they let men take little blue pills but frown on women doing it. Says it's a double standard. So I'm getting to talk to her this Friday! What should I tell her. As a side note I belong to Kaiser which has their own rules

• Posted

Dear Lillepop

I empathise with your dilemma.  May I suggest that you insist that you stay on it.  It is your choice.  Perhaps you could put it in terms that you appreciate your doctor's opinion but your preference is to remain on HRT.  I see a gynaecologist (young) who wanted me to come off but he said that he appreciated that I'm an intelligent woman and that it's my choice.  He did say that he'd be having a conversation with me about it every two years.  I sent him an academic article on European women gynaecologists and partners of male gynaecologists wno continue on HRT.  These people are well informed so it can't be that bad.  All the best.  Lyn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.