6cm ovarian cyst been growing for 10 years fluid filled

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello! I have a 6cm fluid filled simple cyst on my left ovary. I have had it over 10 years now. It started as a 3 cm cyst and has grown slowly over the years. Never decreasing in size only getting bigger. I have taken the "watch and wait" road with it, but now I am starting to think if getting it removed. I also was told at this last appointment that I have a new hemmorage cyst (or something like that I can't remember exactly what she said) on my right ovary and it is 2.3cm. The Dr. thought that one will probably go away so I am going to get another ultrasound in 6 weeks to see. I also got a CA125 blood test to make sure there is no cancer. I had that blood test about 5 years ago and it was fine.

Anyhooo I am very scared of surgery. I have never had it in my adult life. Only when I was 3 years old to get my tonsils removed. I am 45 now. I am very sensitive to drugs. I never take anything. I couldn't take the birthcontrol pill because it made me so sick. I am worry about being put under...yikes. I would like to know how sick you felt when you came out of it. Anyone who has had the lap surgery, did you feel nauseous or dizzy after? Thanks so much

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi lilygirl, I had open surgery 3 years ago now had my right ovary removed and the tube. When I came round felt rather groggy and took me 2 days to feel normal again. I say normal as normal as I cauld be. I was on syringe driver of morphine for 12 hour's. But on 3rd day I was up and walking around so I must say everyone is different and I did have open surgery which takes longer. Hope this helps you.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply! That is comforting to hear, thank you!
  • Posted

Hi Lilygirl, 

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 5 weeks ago and I was really scared too but I was fine.  I was in no pain after as I had a spinal block as well as general.   They keep you pain free by coming round with the painkillers several times a day and I think they give you anti sickness injection in the operating theatre but I'm sure if you had trouble with sickness they could give you something.   I wasn't sick at all but felt nauseous about 3 times but it passed after a minute or two.  I've heard the morphine syringe driver can make some people sick but they didn't give me that for some reason although a lady across from me who had the same op as me the day after me with the same consultant had one and I think she was sick.   

I had had no dizziness at all and had my operation at around 9.30 am and was back on the ward for 11.15 and having a nice cup of tea lol.   I had to stay in bed the first day and had a catheter and drip with painkillers and antibiotics, but I could get out the day after so that I could have a good wash and a bed change.   I had the catheter took off later that day and was able to walk to the toilet fine after that.   I had a nice shower on the 3rd day and went home on the 4th.   

The worst pain is the wind pain that you get but they can give you things to help with that like peppermint tea or cordial.   I took some peppermint Rennies in with me.  

It wouldn't bother me to have the operation again, I had a very positive experience and all the nursing staff were lovely so please don't be scared xxxxx

• Posted

Thank you so so much for posting your experience! It sounds like you have a far more complex surgery than what I would have and you did okay. I am so happy you are doing well. Thanks again for your post!
  • Posted

I also had an ovary out 23 years ago due to a cyst that grew in pregnancy and I was in for 5 days then but things are so much better now.
  • Posted

Hi lilygirl

I've had two big ops and few

Minor procedures under a general and never been sick. As Janet said they give you anti sickness in theatre and constantly ask you post op. I had the injection into the

Spine and the

Morphing drip and again not

Sick. Think everyone reacts differently but they are on the case to prevent it. If they are continuing to grow better out than in and better to do it at the smaller end of the scale as the bigger they get the less options surgeons have in how they remove them . Try not to worry and hope all goes well x

• Posted

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your post. Cheers!
  • Posted

Hi there,

We are in a very similar boat! i'm 42, I've got a 5x4cm simple fluid filled cyst on my left ovary that has been monitored for a decade. Only in the past few months has it caused me serious pain. CA125 all clear too.

I'm due to have the surgery in a few weeks time. Cystectomy and possibly the ovary coming out too. I've never had surgery either and am a bit scared. It's natural to be afraid of the unknown. And I'm hoping that for both of us, it will be a dawdle. I'm actually looking forward to being pain free!

Try and visualize this procedure as a necessary and quick trip to better health. Easier said than done, I'm sure. But I am going to try and focus on healing and remember - even if we feel a little crappy afterwards, it won't last forever and we won't always feel yucky. We will eventually feel better smile

• Posted

Awww thank you so much! I haven't made to jump to agree to the surgery yet, but I am seriously considering. I was having a lot of pressure on the left side yesterday and today it is better. I know it is best to just bite the bullet and get it out, it isn't going to go away on it's own and will probably continue to grow. I wish you all the best with your operation. I would love for you to keep us all posted on how it went. Thanks so much again for your postitive post!
    • Posted

I promise to keep y'all updated. I'm excited its going to get done! Can't wait to feel better. I'm lucky, mine's only caused me trouble in the past few months. But as I'm a PT, it's certainly impacted my job performance! 

I know it wouldn't go away on it's own, and I'm in the frame of mind that I'm more than a little bit freaked out that something is growing inside of me that shouldn't be ha ha! I've been blessed with general good health and being sidelined isn't my idea of fun, but I am hoping to be back on my feet sooner rather than later. 

• Posted

Hey! I'm home! Posted a new discussion for updating y'all on my experience xx
  • Posted

2 weeks ago tomorrow I had a 25cm x 14cm dermoid cyst with right ovary and Fallopian tube removed, also a 6cm cyst on the left ovary removed. Left ovary was drilled and left intact. This was all done by keyhole laproscopy! My surgeon was fantastic. 

The worst part of my op was the post anaesthetic sickness and then the terrible constipation from taking codeine for a week. I am feeling a lot better this week than last, but can feel stitches inside which are restricting some movements. 

I lost about 10lb in weight with the removal of these cysts. 

Push for keyhole, recovery is so much easier. 

I didn't even know I had the giant cyst on the right, I was getting pain in the left side. Now they've gone my abdomen feels empty, it's bizarre that all that extra stuff was squashing all my organs and I had no idea. Now it's gone I can feel that I have more room in my body - very strange experience!

• Posted

Hi

I too have an ovarian cyst. The size of a small plum. Will have another ultrasound in 3 months and will probably opt to get it removed. I have had a few operations over the years and have felt absolutely fine afterwards and no sickness or dizziness at all but that's just my personal experiences. Some people do get these problems so no one can predict how you'll feel but try not to expect to feel bad, think positive and focus on the fact that they got rid of it. Have a cuppa and a slice of toast after the op..I was always starving when I woke up after surgery.

Well..good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best wishes..jules x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.