6mm & 7mm Kidney stones

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was recently (2 weeks ago)sent to my local A&E by my GP for suspected appendicitis.

I had felt rubbish over the weekend (no energy, feverish, nauseous but not actually sick) and lower tummy pain.

After tests it turns out that it's not appendicitis but my Kidney stones have grown. I've had them 2 years and they were 1-2mm. I have one in each kidney.

Saw a urologist, one is 6mm and the other 7mm. She wants to get them out so I have a follow up appt in 3 weeks to discuss the surgery options. I've been told they can't do the procedure on both kidneys at the same time,anyone else been told this?

I've been back to the GP since and he prescribed Naproxen for the pain and Tamurex for the spasms. I'm still not comfy and find sleeping at night really difficult.

I just want them gone!!! Any advice is welcome!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It depends on what you mean by surgery. The most common type is a ureteroscopy. The other one is where they make an incision in the kidney and take the stone out that way, but I would doubt that's what you'll be having. If they are only 6 and 7 then ureteroscopy is more likely. I had a 10 mm in each kidney. I asked my urologist to do a double ureteroscopy and he agreed. I was pregnant and did not want to go a second time. So I think that's reasonable to want them both. It takes longer and the recovery may be different, but my urologist is wonderful and didn't have an issue.

• Posted

Ask for lithotripsy, it's much easier can

Only do one kidney at a time... but less recovery no incision has to be made and it's not invasive! It sounds painful but it's not! I just had one removed by cystoscopy and a stent placed and it hurt worse than the kidney stone pain. I would not advise to go that route at all.

• Posted

Hi Melanie, I am a stone former(3 times in past 15 years) and just this morning I passed a 7 mm stone that the urologist guaranteed I won't pass on my own. It took me about 2.5 months but it's finally gone. What helped me the most is mixing 2oz lemon juice + 2oz olive oil and drinking it. Follow up immediately with at least 1 glass of lukewarm water. I found this remedy when I had a stone the second time 8 years ago and it really helped me this time too. Took away and pain and helped me sleep well in the night. Also, drink watermelon juice with the white rind part. I can confidently tell you that lemon juice is your best friend. Drink lemon water rather than just water. I hate it that doctors never tell you about how helpful lemon and apple cider vinegar are, in managing kidney stone pain.

• Posted

Lemon juice on everything. Drink it, put it in your food and on your salad. I have passed several stones that size, you can do it!  Drink double the amount of water (with lemon juice in it) a day. 

As for the surgery, my urologist was able to do both kidneys, but it depends on the type of surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.