6mm Kidney Stone - OUCH!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So what was initially diagnosed as gallstones, turns out to be a lovely little 6mm kidney stone.

I was diagnosed with this on Monday after having a CT scan. The urologist informed me that the stone is very close to the entrance to the bladder. He took new bloods (previous bloods were taken last Thursday and Friday) in which he saw a great improvement in my kidney function. Due to this and the fact the stone is so close to the bladder, he would like me to try and pass this on my own - I have a follow up appointment booked for 5th June regardless as to whether or not I pass it.

My question is - is it possible to pass a 6mm stone? I'm hoping it is as the urologist said that the stent can be even more uncomfortable than the stone itself and they want to avoid trying to blast it due to its position.

Any advice would be greatly received!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Since the stone got through your ureter and that close to your bladder without any help -- it would seem logical that it can get to your bladder that way.  Did they give you tamulosin (flomax) -- which is meant to open up the ureter to help it pass?   There are other ways too...the way my 4mm stone dropped into the ureter from the kidney was after a spicy meal (dialating the channel).  It got to within 2 inches of my bladder and then 40 days later dropped into my bladder once again after a spicy meal. There are also herbs that may help if you're interested.  That your kidney function is improving is a great sign -- it means the stone is not backing up the flow.  If it wasn't mproving or gets worse you might want to re-assess. .

• Posted

No, they didn't give me anything. I've since ordered some chances piedra to see if that shifts it.

• Posted

Chanca piedra might reduce the size.  If you're doing herbs -- Cornsilk is meant to make passage easier and Horsetail to open up the ureter.  Horsetail is the herbal version of flomax/tamulosin a western prescribed medication.

• Posted

Hi

Yes its quite possible to pass a 6mm stone,it sounds as if its well on its way being so close to the bladder.

Stents can be very very uncomfortable and after my last one im going to try and avoid them at all costs.

Good Luck...

• Posted

Hi, in feb I had a double blockage due to stones iny tunbesbes and 3 in my kidneys and had two stents inserted, one via a nephrostemy ... I can in all honesty say that the stents were the worst experience for me.... every time I needed to pass water it felt like my organs were being pulled to the ground. I only got relief when I was catheterised ... I personally never want a stent again but the odds arent good cos I still have a 7mm and two 5 others in my kidneys ,
  • Posted

I have a large kidney stone. Not sure how big in centimetres but when I said to the urologist that I thought I might pass it, he said "You've got about as much chance of passing that as I have of having a baby."  OK I thought atleast we all know where we are with it.  I am now going to see another urologist at the end of this month.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Went to my follow up appointment today. It's still sitting really close to my bladder. He's happy to leave me for a month to see how it goes however if I have severe pain in the meantime then I have to go in.

Any tips on how I can get rid of this asap would be appreciated - I'd rather pass this myself then go in for painful surgery

• Posted

I'm sure you could get tips on the internet. I have not looked into this as the urologist and the consultant both agreed that I had no chance of passing it.

Good luck and keep in touch

Praying for you

Sarah xx

• Posted

How are you going? I"m in exactly the same situation with a 5.8mm stone near my bladder. I just want to get it out as after that all I have is a couple of very small ones left in the kidney so I should be over the worst. 

Oddly enough I haven't really felt much pain, just some aching. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.