6th day since the attack of diverticulitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since the last diagnosis of DD on last wed, CT scan confirmation, i have been taking a amoxc as antibiotics, im on 6th day ....still clueless on what to eat despite all the suggestions of liquid diet and soft diet since i have always eaten whatever i wanted but not too unhealthy  either. Im barely 27 and fairly active guy (playing soccer, gym) etc...i feel really down with the diagnosis and all. Also, i never had too much pain to begin with, but the symptoms doesnt seems to subside(but its not entirely too bad). Anyways, in-spite of my woes and all, ill be patient and pray a lot to beat this illness (which i found it is pretty nasty ) sad.

So, my major concerns are, is it normal to be this weak, tender around stomach ?

And also my bowels are not normal, its very very soft loose stool. When can it be normal or what should i do about it ?  is there laxatives, meds or aloe vera or any kinna supplements i should be on ?

Since, i was fairly on liquid diet, i feel lil hungry or i actually im not sure cuz im bloated most of time...but i wanna feel lil energetic so i wanna eat so i dont die cuz of malnutrion, what is exact thing i can eat right now so its not bad for my stomach?  i mean what sorta of vegetable i can eat, fruits that are allowed, can i eat eggs, yougurt or not ? what about rice , bread, cereals ...what brands ?  im really sorry i just dont want another attack so i want to take stepwise right approach...im on day 7th of this thing, i dont it to go worse that i would need surgery straight up sad plz help 

ALso should i be taking lots of rest or i can go out ( but i feel weak anyways) ....

Thank you so much !!! prayers 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey! Just read your post - so sorry that you are young with this thing - most people have the condition in later life but often with no symptoms - it's a real bore to get it at your age. The upside is it makes you very conscious of what you eat and so tends to improve your diet! 

OK, there are lots of blogs on this site discussing food - DIVI DINERS is one of the extensive ones. In general with this game you do not want hard stools - basically the condition appears to be caused by gut having to work too hard to process the gunk - repeated high pressure in colon wall leads to formation of the diviticulua....so when you are not having an attack, eat a lot of soluble fibre, avoid things with cellulose that don't dissolve in the stomach (e.g. things like corn on the cob, seeds, skins etc) and red meat (the reason this is bad is it passes through the gut very slowly and so has more time to lose water and so get harder). Drink plenty of fluids (3+ pints a day) 

During an attack the tactic is different! Basically the game there is to try and not give the gut any work to do at all until its more settled - hence liquid diet, noodles etc. then only introduce fibre slowly as you feel better.

Lots of people take probiotics. Trouble is the antibiotics tend to mess up the gut anyway - I suspect that is why you have the lose stools. My guess is at 6 days you'll be close to the end of the course? 

When I get attacks I run a fever and cannot leave bed - often for a week or more. To fully recover from an attack ca take many weeks. The main thing with this game is knowing your gut well enough to judge when it is close to an attack and then being very careful to not over eat etc 

Large volume meals tend to be bad - best to start to eat more frequently in smaller amounts.

Fatty foods are bad

Sadly some form of gut pain is very frequent with DD - as you move away from an attack it will lessen, with luck may disappear. Only use paracetamol for pain relief,  not aspirin or ibuprofen as these apparently are not good for the colon

I'm sure lots of people will offer more advise ( its a great site - very supportive) 

Good luck - you are at the start of a journey of getting to know your colon very well - keep positive, you will get it under control :-) 

Best

James 

• Posted

Hi

All of us seem to be giving you much the same advice.  It takes time and patience to get over an attack.  Please try and rest as much as you can by not trying to do too much too soon.  Not easy for a young working man. 

Yes - the tenderness can linger for weeks as your insides get over the infection.  Also if your stools are already loose you probably shouldn't be taking laxatives and adding to the problem!  Eggs & yogurt is fine as is white rice, bread, pasta, mashed potato, steamed fish, grilled poultry.  Once you're better you can move to the wholemeal versions which have more fibre.   Veggies, fruit and cereal do contain fibre.  But if you turn your veggies into blended soup you might find them digestible.  The trick is not to overload your tummy with too much.  I don't know if it would work for you, but a small meal or snack every 3 hours or so, say a spoon of mash with a poached egg on top, or half a bowl of soup.

I see I'm just repeating what James is saying, but it works for me.

• Posted

Hi. Sorry you are going through such a bad time. I started with a flare up 2 weeks Friday gone and found that the antibiotics made the diorreha linger. After I had finished them and I was back to only going to the loo once a day I gradually introduced more normal food but now find I have gone the other way. Please rest up, and dont overload your stomach , and dont expect to feel really well too soon. I still have no energy and my tummy is so sore. I can't give you any better advice regarding diet than the other replies, so I can only hope that knowing how others are feeling and coping will help you cope with it better

• Posted

It defy takes time to feel better and antibiotics through your system off .

Low fiber diet. Soft foods. Lots of liquids. No hard to digest meat until you are back to normal.

Once you are off antibiotics. Always make sure your bowels are open.  Miralax is great. You mix it with any liquid.

Stay away from seeds, skins and nuts if possible.

You will heal but it takes time.  Good luck.🙏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.