6wks on Mirtazipine should it be helping me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in 6th week of 30mg Mirtazipine. I still have low mood, no motivation, slight anxiety and negative thoughts. I feel just not like me! strange feeling around eating and appetite.

Is this normal? I'm thinking of asking GP to change meds as I don't think Mirtazipine is for me.

any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

if 6 weeks at 30mg, you ought to be experiencing improvements. would be too soon for some other anti deps, but mirt tends to work more quickly than most. what anti dep and dose were you on prior to mirt?

• Posted

what you could be experiencing is withdrawal from your previous med, how did you taper and how long were you on it? x

• Posted

I was on it a few years and tapered over 2 months from 50mg to 25mg then felt anxious again so doc added Mirtazipine as i was not sleeping and felt depressed

• Posted

was a bit of an odd selection going from 50mg of sert (a low dose ssri), to mirt at 30mg, a relaively higher dose of a more heavy duty anti dep. would have thought an increase in sert, or another ssri would be answer. i must be missing something. if you have experienced any improvements, stick with it for a few weeks longer. you want to give it every chance to work, before writing it off. you are looking for small gradual improvements, rather than a recovery.

• Posted

30mg is a high dose, lower doses of mirt are better for sleep, ssri's are very powerful drugs and reducing by 50 percent can take (some people) a long time to settle, trust me i know, why did you reduce the sert? x

• Posted

id spoken to my GP and decided I wanted to come off it due to no libido weight gain and monotone mood. i then felt anxious again which was probably withdrawal but i got very low mood and was scared as i had suicidal thoughts so GP suggested Mirt. started on 15mg whilst still on Sertraline, stopped Sertraline and increased to 30mg mirt. i really want this med to work but the low mood, negative thoughts are still there

• Posted

oh liz bless you you must be all over the place 😦 thats really quick to come off something youve been on so long x

• Posted

Hi

still a bit up and down to be honest. im not sure if Mirt is fir me or is it stopping Sertraline, im a bit confused as to what is going on. my GP said give it 4 more weeks then review.

mood still low, no motivation, bit anxious bout improves evening.

thanks

• Posted

bless you yes evenings usually are better as cortisol lower, how long have been off the sert now, mirt does drain you as it has strong sedative properties x

• Posted

iv been off sertraline 4 weeks. i hope the motivation comes back soon, it's just not like me to have no interest in things

• Posted

mirt does make you sluggish liz, i had so much more energy once i got off it, it used to take me until after lunch time to get motivated to do anything x

• Posted

do you have insomnia?

• Posted

no insomnia, i was struggling to sleep for a few weeks but not normally an issue.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.