7 cm ovarian cyst

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi , I have been having lower abdominal pains for several months now. I'm 48  and per menopausal , put the pains down to my age and hormones!! After seeing the Dr I was sent for an ultra sound which showed up something on my left ovary . The radiographer said it could have been my bowel covering the ovary and suggested rescanning in 2 weeks . I've had this done and showed the same . The Dr said it looks like a dermoid cyst , around 7 cm , . He was sending a report back to my gp suggesting I had a MRI and referral on to a gynaecologist. That was 2 weeks ago now and my gp have had no report back as of yet. 

Does anyone know if that is normal to wait so long for the report and is 7 cm large and likely to need surgery. 

3 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cysts do cause pain as I was admitted a couple of months ago with severe pain but because it eased off my gynaecologist said He won't operate which I was down for both ovaries and fallopian tubes to be removed as I have a 10cm twisted cyst and a 5cm cystadenofibroma. He's going to review me in October but said if I get the pain again to come straight into A&E and he will review me sooner and take then out as an emergency! Don't take no for an answer. You know your body better than anyone else. Go to A&E if you have bad pain it's not roght for them to leave us like this. Hope you get sorted out soon.

• Posted

Hello! I am in the United States and my situation is similar, however I don't have health insurance. Therefore it has been difficult for me to be seen. I went to Mexico to a gynecologist and he told me I have a 6cm ovarian cyst. He prescribed birth control pills to help me reduce the size, yet here in the United States they gave me a 12 month birth control plan. If you have no health insurance, you are literally screwed. I am very concerned, I don't want to have it removed in Mexico and then something happening. It has caused me weight gained, bloated tummy, and it is just something that worries me. I don't get strong pain, just like menstrual cramps. Even though ovarian cysts are no fun, I'm glad I found this forum, because it gave me a peace of mind that I'm not alone. Any advice will be highly appreciated. TIA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.