7 days into escitalopram and feel lousy, is this because it’s the generic?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve taken name brand lexapro before and didn’t have many side affects however it’s been 5 years.. I just started on the generic last Wednesday (5mgs)  and have been miserable ever since.. within 2 days I had to cut back to 2.5mgs. I’m having horrible anxiety, feels worse then when I started, heartburn, dizziness, really bad over heating at night for hours at a time which keeps me up along with (this part is probably the worst) and my gi tract is completely tore up. Any idea if this is because of the generic form? I don’t know how much more I can deal with.. anyone have ideas? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

it just started generic a week ago?  were you on lexapro the hole time for 5yrs?  did you stop for a while and started again.. ..  you do have the side affects..  if you are just starting the med again i would say CALL YOUR DOCTOR.   cause if you were on the LEXAPRO.. then a week later you changed to generic escitalopram there has to be a problem with the difference between brand and generic.. because the side affects you are saying are some that are side affects for starting a new mg.   i am so sorry your feeling like this and you are on a low dose .   got me thinking...  i been on 15mg for 22 days now and i still have some of your side affects..  i now have the shakes and upset stomach in the morning is the worse.  but have to take a xanax as needed.. up to 3.    i hope you post and tell me what you did and what your doctor says.. i would call a pharmasite also and ask ...too..   i feel for you..   i am still in trying to get thru all side affects .. it takes a long time to get use to it...
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer, 

Thanks for the reply. No, I didn’t just switch over. I used to take lexapro 5 years ago and back then did just fine even at start up. Even got off it successfully.. I’ve just been experiencing anxiety again in the last six months so I thought it might be a good idea to go on it again since it worked so well last time. I didn’t even consider the idea of start up issues.. but I guess there must be a difference in the generic and name brand. How long have you been on it? Do you have any hot flash / high heart rate issues with it? That’s the hardest part for me to deal with.  I have a call into the dr.. I’ll let you know what happens. 

• Posted

i did and still do have those issues.. but i am hoping that i am getting use to it.. i am on 15mg now for 23 days and this is my second day that i am feeling not sick in morning  ..my anity and my heart was racing bad when i first started this med again.. i was on this med when it pooped out because of too much going on in my life and doc moved my dose from 10mg to 20mg.. wow what a mistake..   then she put me on 2 different meds and they were very bad side affects just like i am having with generic lexapro.  but i was always on the generic from the beginning.  your body has to get use to it again.. so did your doctor give you anything to take like xanax or the other meds that help with the aniity ,?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.