7 Days Post Abdominal Myomectomy (Picture included)

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello, I am 30 years old, no kids, but desire some in the future and live in southern California. On 12.12.18 I had my abdominal myomectomy. I had 20 fibroids at various sizes removed through a clean cut bikini line incision. I am very pleased with the incision cut and with the surgery. Here's some info from the experience so far:

The first three days: the first day was the worst ( I had to walk within the first couple of hours of the surgery since I did not have a catheter and the pain was indescribable, I did get up though and eventually use the restroom), day 2 was not as bad but still a challenge (needed lots of assistance getting around, came off the IV/pain pump and switched to Norco and Mortin (hard transition until we found the right dosage), appetite was mostly for soft foods and liquids, various aches and pain on the body), Day 3 I went home (I was able to do a few things by myself and was walking around the hospital by myself, sponge bath myself, and dressed myself, the car ride home was a little uncomfortable). The mesh panties were so comfortable- I wish I would have asked to take a few pairs home.

As of today I can: walk at a slow pace, start to ween off the Norco pain meds and only take Motrin 600 mg, had a few irregular bowel movements (good thing though), range of body motion is improving each day, pain comes in waves, shower by myself, slightly bend over, I use women's depends because I can't wear regular underwear yet due to the incision.

I have to: rest often, I seem to push the limits a little on trying to do things around the house and when I do I am exhausted, stay on top on meds schedule or the pain is like a slap in the face, ask for help often and try not to do things myself.

Things that are still a challenge: getting out of bed or getting up when I've been laying/sitting down for a while, waiting for the first bowel movement was a challenge at first and when I was ready for it I was really sick to my stomach but then it passed and it was such a relief, nausea is a challenge so I'm weening off of Norco.

Doctor's tips: fast recoveries occur in people who get up and walk around and happy people (positive thinking).

My tip: have a support system because this is a major surgery and you can't recover alone. Wear loose dresses and women's depends are actually comfortable.

Overall, I wanted the surgery because I wanted a quality of life right now. I looked 6 months pregnant, lot's of pressure and pain leading up, during, and after my periods, and I wanted to take a chance on having kids soon (getting married 4/14/19). The fact that I was going to have a scar didn't phase me because it's a testimony to this huge hurdle I had to overcome. If you're considering surgery, it's worth it.image

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

What was your first period like ?

• Posted

My first period was very light and little to no symptoms at all that I "normally" felt. Now that I'm back on my normal routine I no longer have the pressure, tightness, or fullness that I had before. I wasn't a heavy bleeder before so that's normal for me. I can say that I definitely feel a difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.