7 days post anterior repair. advice needed.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, only just found this site and looking for a little bit of advice. 

7 days ago I had anterior repair. unfortunately had post PV bleeding which almost resulted in going back into theatre. 

All was going well for a few days - very slight pinkish blood. 2 days ago blood turn red ( fresh blood colour) - I phoned the ward who said it was normal so long as I didn't need to change pad too often and there were no clots ( which there isn't) and their last bit of advice was rest. 

I have done absolutely nothing for two days. blood is still red but because of the hot weather and wearing sanitary towels for 7 days solid - I am now getting sore. Not inside but on the outside. Little inflammation lumps are forming. I know its from being damp and hot in the weather. I have used sudocream tonight on the outer part - no where near the entrance. Just wondering if you had any other tricks up your sleeves to help - 6 weeks of wearing pads will be excruciating at this rate. 

could I have a salt bath? I have only been having showers? 

are any of you experiencing the same thing?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zigzag

I has a hysterectomy and rectocoele repair 6 weeks ago.

I bled for the first few days but then it went to a yellow discharge which I still have now. I’ve seen doc and this is normal apparently. Like you I was very sore and I used to have a very shallow bath every day with nothing in the water. Literally just enough water to sit in and I only stayed in it for about 5 mins but I found this really helped. I didn’t use any soap . I did this for two weeks then went on to showering. I still dont use any soap, just water. I went to see my gp after 2 weeks as one of my stitches had popped and she gave me some lidocaine ( vagisil ) which really helped with the discomfort I was feeling. Might worth asking your gp about this. 

Make sure you keep resting. The ladies on here gave me some excellent advice and the main one is to rest. I have over done it a couple of times and I really knew about it so don’t do anything for a while.

Hope you feel better soon. X

• Posted

thanks bobsey - glad you are recovering well. wish this bleeding would slow and stop. sick of wearing pads. I can't exactly let fresh air get to it as I have a 6 year old and grandparents are staying with us. lol. 

• Posted

Zigzag..

Place your sanitary pads in freezer to go cold..this really helps to cool off the vagina.

I never had any issues with my tvh or anterior repair but I hated the pads and the odor it gave off. If you have lumps it may be heat..

How about a cold shower placed around the vagina,that would help loads hunx

• Posted

maybe not much help but have you tried panty liners instead of towels ,obviously if you are bleeding too much they may not be the answer ,.my prolapse op was 7 weeks ago and i found panty liners more comfortable because my water is still leaking i find the liners adequet . i felt much better after a bath x
    • Posted

Thanks Carol. May give it a try as it seems more when I wipe rather than what's on the pad. they may be a bit more breathable even if I have to change them more often as the pads have plastic backing. Did you use salt in the water or just plain water?

• Posted

I found the melting stitches to be very

externally irritating . Although it seems early - the added bleeding may be dissolving them quicker ? I found coconut oil and fresh air to be soothing.

• Posted

Do not use anything on vagina until the stitches have healed. Not even coconut oil. You e stitches will heal but no blood will dissolve them only your healing body. Good luck lAdies
  • Posted

It’s a real tough time after this op 😩 just feel fed up , restricted , tired and down at not being able to do much but it does get better x

Have you tried the cheap big ‘old fashioned’ towels from Sainsbury / Morrison’s. They don’t have that plastic type feel like the modern thin ones, they are about 50p. I had them after my operation and just don’t seem to make you sweat as much. I find sudocrem is good but see if you can get some Drapolene cream. It’s a nappy rash cream but not as thick as Sudocrem , it works wonders. 

Hope feel better soon ??

• Posted

Thanks Vicky. I've not seen any signs of stitches yet. Don't fancy them dissolving too quickly. Will try the old fashioned chunky pads but I'm really not that heavy. The blood just stays on skin mostly. I've started washing after each trip to the loo instead of wiping with paper. Not heard of that cream. Is it from the UK.

• Posted

Found it on amazon and have bought a tub. Hopefully it will make it more comfortable
    • Posted

Yes I use to buy it for my oldest two but they are 18,16 x I looked at in on the Internet but it’s only available online now from amazon. I used to get it from boots or Sainsbury’s 🤷???

• Posted

I have had both posterior and anterior repairs and extra virgin coconut oil has been my best option to relieve soreness.  It’s easy to use and can be used as often as necessary. Sometimes I use with Sudocreme since it makes it thinner. It’s really soothing. Panty liners I have found to be great and not so uncomfortable. I found that a normal round plastic kitchen bowl fits into a standard toilet bowl and makes a great site bath. Coconut oil is naturally anti bacterial and anti fungal. Smells nice too. 

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Miriam I was thinking of bowl rather than trying to get into proper bath. Thanks for advice on coconut oil. Hope u are healing well.
  • Posted

Hi a couple weeks after my anterior/ posterior repair i was using pads they irritated me and made me sore i switched to liners and they helped so much i still get sore from the stitches but the outside irritation went away🙂

• Posted

Thanks kas. I've stopped using always pads and have bought some organic cotton ones. It already feels more comfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.