7 month old baby possible HSP - please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Ive a 7 month old daughter who last Wednesday suddenly started screaming in pain. It was soon obvious she had severe tummy pain. That night she developed a fever. I took her to the hospital the next morning as she was still screaming in pain, we couldn't even touch her.

She was transferred to a children's hospital with querie severe bowel problems. Scans and MRI ruled that out but it came back with disteneded bowel and some free fluid. On the 3rd day of pain she had about 4 spots of non blanching red rash but all her bloods came back ok except CRP was slightly raised. She had blood in her urine. She suddenly then couldn't move her legs due to severe pain, everyone was very concerned. Then randomly the next day she stopped crying in pain and the red marks were subsiding. She continued to get better and by the 4th day she was completely back to normal. She had completeled the course of antibiotics and sent home.

No one can tell me what happened to her. It's really worried me. She's always unwell with chest infections now this. After doing my own research I found out about HSP.

Could this be what my baby had even though the duration in total was only 4 days and she never really had a rash that covers her? Could she still get the rash now? She started with an eczema rash on her face yesterday but that could be anything I guess.

Any info would be great, thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wow. ... its great you found out yourself that she had HSP. Since, it is self-limiting condition it resolved soon. 

But, yes, she can get it again if you know what caused it, keep that trigger away from her. 

Mostly it is some kind of food or chemicak that triggers this.

• Posted

Hi- you poor thing! Sounds scary! I hope she gets better fast. It does sound like hsp. My five year old was diagnosed 5 weeks ago and had intususseption because of it and had 28cm of her small intestine removed. She swelled on nearly every part of her body, including head and spine. The swelling would go away as soon as it showed up. There would be days she couldn't walk because the pain was so bad in her joint- sound like your baby might've had some pain in legs. My daughters spots were only on her legs and bottom. They've come and gone 3 different times. The belly pain is also an unfortunate side effect of hsp. The good news is I think the younger they are the less severe the hsp. Hopefully that's true for your baby. I'll be praying for her!

• Posted

Im 32 and I have hsp, I have stomach issues all the time, and my back has been hurting all the time. Lost my kidneys a month after getting hsp, and now have to do dialysis... That was a year and a half ago....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.