7 months after femur fracture

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I got into a pretty bad incident and broke my right femur in Dec last year. My x-ray has been showing thin line of fracture all this while, even the latest I took yesterday. My doctor said that I can slowly go back to full weight bearing in 2 weeks time. However, he also said that I should not do any exercises like running or jumping for another 3 months.

Before this incident happened, I was an active runner so I got really depressed for not being able to run or hike. Now that my doc is saying I can do full weight bearing soon, I dont understand why I am not allowed to slowly go back running. My doc provided no further explanation other than that my fracture was pretty long and serious, so I should be cautious.

Has anyone got into this unfortunate event like me before? I would like to know how long you used to get back to running/hiking. I also wonder if my fracture is a case of delayed nonunion, but I dont feel pain when I walk without crutches. Actually what kinda pain would one feel when the bone isnt healed and they walk on it? I feel sore sometimes but not painful.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would be very careful not to do anything that your Dr /surgeon says you mustn't do, did you have a repair or have they treated it conservatively, in theory it depends a lot on your age and general fitness and how good your bone density is.

Was this a straight femur fracture or was it the neck

• Posted

The fracture was at upper femur, spiral fracture. I am 32, bone density was higher than average 2 years back when I did bone density test..

• Posted

In my opinion the pressure put on your femur when you walk is different than when you run.Less pressure walking to start and if all goes well running will follow. You're wondering about delayed nonunion and I would guess that was never an issue.Do you not feel comfortable talking to your doctor? I'm sure he/she would be more than happy to discuss the healing process in your case with you and give you better guidance than me. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

hi thanks for your comment. All this while my doctor has been saying is be patient. I just wanna know the x ray didnt show up to be different, but he is allowing me to walk without crutches because i dont feel painful when I walk. But I have on several occasions walked without crutches (short distance) and didnt feel pain as well, but that was before his green light and against his advice. He cant give me better explanation when I questioned that.

I will be getting second opinion from different hospital, just wondered if anyone having same issue and how long exactly they used to get back on their work-out regime.

• Posted

Hi there sorry to hear that, i had a motorcycle accident almost 10 months ago had pretty significant injuries, right leg high femur fracture to the hip, had a rod with two screws placed the rod sticks out about 2 inches at the top of the bone so everytime i bend to pick something up it sticks out through the skin very painful, having it removed once its been a whole year from accident, since that leg had 3 ligaments replaced with cadaver ligaments as well as my minuscus repaired my tibia and fibula, thats just on the right leg they decided to give it time to heal , the left leg was femur and tibia, my jaw fractured in 2 areas and my shoulder was fractured as well , with that being said femur fractures are delicate my ortho Dr which i happen to work with stated that it takes a good year to heal these fractures completely maybe this is why your Dr is being cautious , i was active in the gym too loved lifting weights and i just started the gym light weight 2 weeks ago, i still use a cane as i have a bit of a limp which im told once i gain strength it sill go away, im hoping.... well hope this helped 😃

• Posted

hi thanks for your comment! Seeing the number of fracture you had suffered, 10 months to get back to gym doesnt sound too bad to me! I am also still using a cane when I walk but will ditch it in a week or two. I am thinking to get second opinion from different doctor and see if they can help me recover faster. I have read a lot about people having femur fracture and got back to riding/running in 6 months and was expecting the same. But now that the doc allowed me to walk but forbid me from running, it really broke my heart. I thought once I ditch the walk aid, I can slowly go back to running again. But 3 months? Gosh..

• Posted

I'm sorry, hopefully second opinion will clarify some of your concerns, and sooner than later you'll be yourself again these things can change your life drastically i know for me it did, i still cry to this day only because i love being active and for me i know ill never be the same, 😦 but cant complain I'm blessed to be here.... i went through 12 surgeries 1 to come to remove my rod, please keep us posted and best of luck on your recovery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.