7 months after gb surgery I am very seriously sick.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Had gb out Jan. 2018. Had some off and on problems which got progressively worse. Gastritis, indigestion, diarrhea, constipation and unbearable gas and bloating. Can barely eat anything now, lost 20 lbs. Now weigh 102 at 5'3".

Mostly now I have air bubbles going out my left side and down but gets trapped and I bloat with so much upper stomach and sometimes lower rib pain.

If I don't eat exactly every 2 hours I get the gurgling, filling up with gas on left side and gnawing bend over type pain. If I eat just before the 2 hour limit I can lessen the gas attacks. My stomach and intestines are so sore from the months of distension. I sometimes feel like I have a tight band around my upper stomach but nothing there.

For the past month I have been yellow colored stools with yellow grease upon wiping (sorry for being graphic).

Blood tests normal, ct scan normal so liver ruled out. Stool calprotectin test shows inflammation in intestines. EGD upper endoscopy good except fir mild hiatal hernia.

I can't help feeling this is bile related but the calprotectin test indicates possible IBD or cancer.

I have lived with severe IBS for 50+ years and all this is not my ibs. Ever since my gb surgery I have more sick than I have ever been in my life. Sorry for the long read. Any thoughts. This bloating is relentless.

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi aubrey. hello everyone. i'm experiencing indigestion like pain sometimes and i don't know if it's a gallbladder attack or gastritis. Upper middle abdominal pain 5inches above my belly button. My stools are mainly yellowish-brown colour. If i'm having a loose or watery stool then it'll be just yellowish. Are yours always yellow on a daily basis? like yellow yellow in color?

• Posted

Hi jeff yes for about a month now they are yellow, not bright but defintely yellowish enough.

• Posted

Hi

im suffering with similar problems, i had my gallbladder taken out on monday after 3 years of problems, my gallbladder was a mess, had stuck to my small bowel, surgeon had to check my scan photos to see if he had correct patient in it was that bad, anyway i feel better as my inflammation has gone and have my appetite back, but after i eat the gurgling starts and then get an intense pressure build up in my chest and bettewn my shoulders that nearly takes my breath out of me, im ringing doctor tommorow for advice as had this before my surgery!

all my gastric problems started when i fell ill in crete 3 years ago and nothing was diagnosed, all the doctors i have seen dont seem to take this serious though! like you am getting concerned, i also think it bile/liver related

• Posted

Hi mathew, good luck with your problem. Rooting for you. If you aren't already try eating small meals spread about 2 hours apart and see if any help.

• Posted

Hi Audrey, I think having an MRCP (MRI of the abdomen) would help to get a good picture of how your digestive system is working. It can also look at your bile ducts. Is this something you can ask your GI to have done for you? Also, when you had the EGD, did they test for h. pylori? I'm sorry you're suffering so much. I've been praying for you?

• Posted

Hi Johnette, hope you are having a good day. I have been cancelled by my gi and am losing my favorite one so have to muster up the courage to make a new appointment.

I thought they automatically test for hpylori. I asked the gi if that will get tested when I get endoscopy and she said yes so I assume they did...I hope.

Is the MRCP invasive and do you have to take any nasty prep for it?

• Posted

ok, i know you wont probably do this but it worked for me. YOU needa perscription for cholestyramine, brand name olestyr if you can get it. it is a powder and you mix it with water. i started with 1 pouch a day. MY doctor told me it would not work but said you tried everything else. i tried it for almost three weeks. about the 2nd week I Started taking FLORA 50 billion probiotic urgent care, one pill a day along with the medicine..... within a week stopped the cholestryamine, kept taking probiotic..... one week later the gas and especially the diarrhea stopped. my gastric guy was surprised. i still take the probiotic. it is the one that the health store recommended. i had my gall bladder out too but mine started awhile after that. i put up with, especially the diarrhea for about a year! COULDNT GO ANY WHERE UNLESS THERE WAS A TOILET nearby..... I did my own research and tried a lot of things but this paid off, it worked,i would have tried anything at that point. hope you try it,,,,,it sure wont hurt you. good luck! oh and by the way, it is bile related even though you have no gallblader!

Nancy

• Posted

sorry audrey, i should of read the other replies, i know it can constipate you, i remember that. i ate prunes every day. if it just constipated you, just take a generic stool softener along with prune juice or eat prunes, 5 a day. do try the probiotics! I see someone else said it worked for them.

nancy

• Posted

I am so glad it helped you. Unfortunately I cannot take prunes or probiotics. I went from diarrhea to mostly constipation now since being so sick. Couldn't go for a week from the Questran.I was in agony. Fruit and veggies are a no no for my ibs and worse from the gb surgery.

• Posted

Have you heard of dumping syndrome? There are 2 types lower and upper.

• Posted

Hi Chris, yes have heard of it and had it off and on after my gb surgery. Went from that to more constipation now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.