7 months of knee pain in both knees

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is new to me. Let me give a bit of info. Im 29 and have never had any real injuries and in great shape. I moved just a little under 7 months ago and I did something to both knees. Ever since they been in constant pain. The worst is at night and in the morning. I am lucky to sleep a few hours at night. In the morning i cant streighten my legs for sometime 20 to 30 mins. I have trouble going up and down stairs and if i squat down i have a hard time getting up. Like I said this has been going on for almost 7 months. I have gone for xrays and waiting now. This has completely drained me. At first I kept telling myself that I will recover hoping one day I will get up with no pain. I tried hot and cold and keeping my legs up on pillows. I tried knee bands. Nothing helps at all.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Also sometimes I my right knee pops and cracks.
  • Posted

Hi kyle,

Try and push for an MRI SCAN as this can show the images from inside the knee and possibly any damage. I ruptured my ACL and damaged my knee at an exercise class just before Christmas, the lessons I have learned from that at are: to be more persistent with the doctors or consultants, listen to your body, if it doesn't feel right chances are that there is something wrong. I waited and listen to the consultant thinking he knew best, unfortunately after a second opinion and then a second operation there was a significant issue, which is now being sorted. But I know your pain, sleeping issue hard when your knees are throbbing, not being able to straighten your legs is awful. Make a plan of what you want your outcome to be and work on the steps little by little. Such as: see the consultant, ask for MRI, ask for physio appointment. If you have private health care then use it. Good luck

• Posted

This sounds very similar to what happened to me. I hurt my right knee and just left it but after about 11 months it was soo painful I thought it was time to get checked. I was very surprised when my gp refurd me to the orthopaedic clinic. I then went on to have a arthroscopic op and the outcome was i needed a new knee due to osteoarthritis. I had a complete knee replacement in December and will need the other one doing later in the year.
  • Posted

Thank you for your input and experience. I really hope I don't need to have an operation.
    • Posted

The advice from everyone one here is great Kyle, the operations aren't that bad (I had 2 in 2 months), I can straighten my leg, am sleeping better and can walk on and off with out crutches ( this was due to me having a captured knee for 3 months and shortening of my hamstring) . Ice, elevate, rest and push for the MRI. :-)
  • Posted

X rays show only bone damage. Appears you will need an MRI to show soft tissue damage. Sounds like possible meniscus damage. Ice and rest till.you get a professional evaluation
  • Posted

I can relate to your pain. The fact you can't straighten your knee might be your meniscus. You definitely need an MRI done on your knee. I currently have to keep my knee straight 24/7 in a knee brace. Sleep and pain ar not friends. Just keep your dad up,
  • Posted

So my x rays came in. Looks like bones are good. Some extra fluid in my right knee. Doctor thinking i have either meniscus tear or patello femoral syndrome.
    • Posted

I've had several meniscual tears in my knee and had removal of part of it as well as a other damage and removal of fluid, acl removal, with the NHS you really have to be on their case, as they are pretty slow with treatment unless you hound them. Also push for physio and hydrotherapy, fingers crossed. It's a horrible, tiring pain, I turned 40 last year and up in till 6 weeks ago didn't think I would walk, bend or straighten my leg I was stuck with 40degrees of movement. Now I have gained 100 more degrees of movement with an op and physio plus home exercise. :-D
  • Posted

Sorry to hear your experience!! Do push for a diagnosis, you could be making it worse, and even though an operation does end up with pain we all know that we are heading towards a better result...if your surgery works the same as mine make an extended appointment with your GP and explain how this is impacting on your life, all your symptoms and problems they can't help without you telling them exactly what's going on....good luck I really hope you get an answer soon 
  • Posted

You say you have had xrays, but are you seeing, or been referred to an orthopaedic consultant. That would be the best way to go. Will also put your mind at ease quicker

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.