7 months post op, thumb surgery

Posted , 2 users are following.

Around June 2017 I underwent reconstruction surgery on my thumb. I ruptured the radial collateral ligament several months before but took quite a few visits to doctors to get treatment. The surgeon harvested half of the fcr tendon to use as the graft. I was in a cast/splint for 7 weeks with a k-wire in. Shortly after kwire removal I started physio. My range of movement and strength came back quickly but to this day it still gives me problems. There is still alot of swelling and it feels quite stiff overall. The tiniest numb on my thumb causes intense pain which can last for several hours. It's been seven months since surgery and not sure if I'm just worrying as I know this would take a long time to recover from. Anyone have any advice or had something similar done? Not sure how long I should wait before pestering doctors again. My thumb is very hyper extended now since the op and it looks abit deformed compared to my other thumb.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Pester away..........they are there for you.  You should not be in the dark about just how long is "a long time" AND just what to expect on your long road to full recovery.  Good luck.

• Posted

Several years ago I severed my pinky finger on a broken glass. In the emergency room they told me that I had also severed the artery.  They stitched my finger up, but it was still in intense pain.  I went to a hand surgeon, he suspected that I had severed the nerve as well.  We scheduled surgery, & yes, the nerve had been severed as well.  He was able to reconnect it & it made a world of difference.  My pinky is still more sensitive to cold, to clipping the finger nail, to being banged, but on a daily basis it is okay.  I would recommend you seeing a surgeon to find out if there is something more going on.  When was your last follow-up visit?  Are you using cold packs for the swelling & heat before exercising it?  Did they give you something like a stress ball to squeeze & to work on getting movement back?  Good Luck, go see a doctor.

• Posted

I last saw the consultant, who did the operation and is part of the hand clinic team, in September where she checked everything and gave me the ok, then discharged me. I know it will take along time but it's kinda annoying who things haven't changed much since she last saw me. I have lots of putty and stress balls etc. Will try the ice and heat packs more. It def feelsbetter when I take a hot bath. My hand is more sensitive to cold weather aswel but that's to be expected since they cut a nerve to do the operation. It's the swelling which just won't go down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.