7 months post TKR pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im sure I felt better at 3 months than I do now. My bend is about 95/100 deg, but my leg aches all the time and feels stiff. There is still swelling at the back of my knee that somehow feels like it's hampering my bend. My leg feels like a door that only opens 45deg and then stops dead ,where normally there would be some give. Is this normal? I can only walk a short distance without a really dull and stiffening ache. I'm due for my other knee to be done in the next few weeks ,so am feeling a bit vulnerable.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you elevating your legs above your heart regularly? I lay on the floor and put my feet up the wall. This helps me a lot if my legs feel heavy. I have varicose vein issues, so my valves of my veins don't close completely which causes swelling and heaviness at times.

After my two TKRs I have worked hard on my BEND and even harder on straightening. Stretching helps. Yoga helps, and putting my legs out on the ottoman when I sit helps, too.

We are still healing. I think new pain sometimes means that new areas are healing. I have also heard of others who have said nerves heal and produce pain as they are healing and feeling less NUMB.

Try hamstring stretches VERY, VERY slowly and ease into the stretch. Hold it for a count of 30, relax, and repeat. See if that helps you.

It is all about trying things until something WORKS!

Wishing you success and a lot less pain in the coming days!

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl, yes I put my legs up on settee every night. Can't do it on floor as I can't get on the floor ha ha!!! I still do exercises every day, stretches mostly, I swim once a week and go for a walk a couple of times a week as well as a bit of gardening and shopping and looking after baby grandson once a week. Maybe I expected too much? I'm doing the hamstring stretches at night on the bed,and yes they are rather tight,must admit though I've not iced for a while,think I will try that again. Thank you for your kind concern
  • Posted

It's really not good to be feeling like that at seven months, is it. . .Have you been back to the doctor about it?  I know everyone has a different experience, but at seven months I was certainly not getting any real pain . . stiffness, heaviness, yes, but not pain . . .i do hope you get some relief soon.

• Posted

Thank you, I wasn't sure if this was still part of recovery or not, I think I will pay my GP a visit. No one tells you what to expect and I didn't want to be a whinger.
  • Posted

Thats not whinging Chris!

You are worried and need your concerns addressed.

I certainly hope that I will not have that much pain and stiffness at 7 months.  I'm hoping to walk the mini marathon - 10k - in June.

I did say WALK though, daughters are running it!

I need the other knee done as well but at the moment would run a mile (hobble then!) if surgeon suggested it.  As we have all found out here it takes far longer for recovery than anyone tells you.

Go and have a chat to your doc!

Stay strong

Ann X

The Irish One!

• Posted

Thanks Ann, I'm just exhausted by trying to keep going,I couldn't even switch the bedside lamp off last night it was just too much effort!!! I've never been like that in My life!!!!! I'm going to see gp this week as I have other things wrong that could be complicating , fibromyalgia and under active thyroid. So it's onwards and upwards and the beginning of a new day
  • Posted

Been seven mos since double tkr..I also have fibro..people with this disease take a lot longer to heal.trauma from the surgery kicks fibro into overdrive.hang in there.
    • Posted

Hi carol, did wonder if fibro would slow everything down a bit, nice to know there is someone out there who understands, some days are great then the next day everything is painfully highlighted in all its glory !!!!! rolleyes il just have to give time time 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.