7 months since tkr and feeling brilliant

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just reached 7 months and its just great. After all the pain and tears and an awful lot of hard work im back to almost normsl. On back of motorcycle and looking forward to touring europe in June. Please dont despare all you just had it done people I thought I would never be without pain. Hang in there life hasnt been as good as this for years

5 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Nice one Susan,

Well Done. I'm about 5 months after my second TKR and all going well. It's hard, particularly at first, but I am grateful I don't have cancer or similar. Today the weather is nice here, had a nice BBQ, a couple of beers, a couple of wines...can't beat it. If you happen to be visiting Ireland let me know and we will show ye beautiful County Wicklow. .....gorgeous mountains for biking. My wife and I visit the mountains most weekends. The Guinness is good too. Well done.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Well that is so good to hear, Susan!  I am very pleased for you.  I’m currently going round and round in my head about whether I should go ahead with a knee replacement (currently waiting for a date for the op).  I read on here so many stories of how things have gone badly for people and it really makes me wonder whether I should just not bother and put up with the pain and limitations.  However, I also want to be back out on the back of my husband’s motorbike, doing long touring days.....  just can’t work out the right thing to do.  😟

• Posted

I think that forums tend to reflect the difficulties more than the benefits...especially worth bearing in mind i think. Yes, it is hard, but life changing for the best for the vast majority of people. If you are currently disabled, in near constant pain, and your life has shrunk before your eyes, then it does offer a big chance of improvements.
  • Posted

Wow, very uplifting to hear this! Good for you. I'm having 2nd tkr in June. Hope I sound like you after 7 mos.!

Have a wonderful trip!

• Posted

You’re a star! I’m 11 weeks got great bend, can straighten well but if I push it just a little like last week I went for a two hour walk on a beach. Suffered all last week it’s like one step forward two back. I had a THR 21/2 years a go and at this stage went back to work I’m no where near ready to go back to work at the moment! I am getting a little frustrated. So reading your account has given me hope
    • Posted

Hi Ruth,

I am similar in that if I push it like a long walk I suffer for a few days.

But I know like Susan we will get there.

Thanks Susan

• Posted

Someone asked me the other day if I was glad I made the decision to have my TKR. I told them it was probably too soon to ask me because at this point in time I can’t say I’m happy I made the choice. I’m barely 6 weeks post op.  Reading your positive remarks is giving me some hope.  Thanks!!
    • Posted

A helpful suggestion I read was to wait until a year and then decide. For many they feel it is worthwhile earlier than that but the one year mark is a good marker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.