7 months with PMR and...

Posted , 12 users are following.

Got a diagnosis 7 months ago and have had a fairly easy time getting to 6-7 mg prednisone.  This week I kayaked for 10 minutes and the next day my left shoulder and bicep have been the worst it has ever been.  It did not hurt to paddle at all.  I used the prednisone to 10 with out ant change.  I am thinking a joint issue ( bursa, tendon, muscle  tear or ligament)  I can not really use the left arm without a lot of very sharp pain.  Today just standing with a small twist my left knee got extremely painful and swelled so I cannot really bend it much.  I have reste3d and iced it.  I have had 2 scopes done on it in the past and was not having any problems prior to today.

As I have been on prednisone 8-6 mg for most of 4 months .

Any thoughts?  I am using very cautiously the dead slow method and my doc is letting me take control of PMR and the meds.   Of course this forum has made this possible.  Thank you in advance for any thoughts , ideas or suggestions.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Strangely it seems easier to get injured when we've been on pred for a while.  Probably not true for everyone but I've found it so.  Pred can weaken muscles (myopathy) so we need to be more careful than we used to be.  I got some low level light therapy from a physiotherapist, plus exercises to do at home and it seemed to help my various injuries....

• Posted

Hi Shannon, listening to your body, did you over do it or is PMR kicking up. PMR pain, I would hit it hard. Muscle pain from over do it, NSAIDS! We need to increase our activities a little bit at a time and do it daily. Good luck on your journey, stay active, positive and try to smile. ☺️
  • Edited

When you have PMR your muscles remain somewhat delicate - partly because the pred is only managing the inflammation and the actual disease process is still ongoing, attacking your body tissues and leaving them intolerant of acute exercise. You also have to add to that the pred - which for some people makes muscles and tendons/ligaments more delicate.

Did you just do the kayaking without having "trained"? Exercise isn't a total no-no but you do have build up to it very slowly - both in terms of intensity and duration. Since you only mention one shoulder it sounds more like injury than the PMR protesting - but I think you need it checked out as it COULD be a rotator cuff injury.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,   Thank you Eileen for your response. No I didn’t “train” and thought a short kayak would be ok.  My arms, shoulders and neck I have found don’t take much to get painful.  Anytime I do much with them they hurt.  I am fearful of rotator cuff injury and I wondered if that is what that might be the case as it really is one side.  I guess time will tell. 

I think that I forget I cannot do what I always did. 

Will see how it goes and make an appt with MD. 

• Posted

It is an easy trap to fall into - you used to do hours of something and 10 mins is such a short time. And really - what do you do to build up to 10 mins of an activity? You would probably start with 5 mins! But you have to remember there is a fair bit of effort against the water, even if you aren't aware of it. 

Get well soon

• Posted

Crazy azz stuff,   man feeling old, and out of shape.  Thanks for the confirmation.  Since diagnosis of per shoulders, neck and upper arms are the weakest link!  My hips in the beginning were also but since walking they are better.  Thanks again, you ROCK

Shannon

• Edited

Shannon, I know it's hard to believe, 3 years ago I rode my bike 4253 mile, 1 years ago it hard to walk 1/6 of a mile. Believe me it is a slow process, first 1/6 sit down, than another, pretty soon I worked my way up to a mile, but it was gradual. EileenH and the forum help each step of the way. Just like tapering do not rush nice and easy does it. Think positive and try to smile. ??

• Edited

Hi! I'm new to this site & just getting diagnosed with PMR. Just started 10mg if Prednisone on Sat.. this has been the hardest 4 months of my life. I'm hoping to get away from my walker. I'm 64 ...always been active. On my 60th bday i hiked 10 miles....i guess I'm just looking for info & thoughts to help me process this whole thing. Thanks for your help!!

• Posted

This is a very old post. Few enough people follow this forum any more as it is and hardly anyone will see your reply here. If you want more replies please make a new post. Alternatively (or in addition) you could look up the healthunlocked forum and post your concerns there. It's a more active site.

• Posted

I echo Anhaga's comment - come to an active PMR/GCA forum:

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk

I make no apology for this - if patient.info won't listen to us, come somewhere where they do at least tell us when there is something to read.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.