7 weeks after tkr, nausea for 2 weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, I,m a 70yo female, had a tkr 7 weeks ago, one of the things that is making this awful experience worse is the constant nausea. I will be getting some Phenergan soon to help. Otherwise I still have a lot of pain and stiffness and difficulty sleeping. I don't use a crutch much anymore, am doing lots of exercise every day, but have to confess not much walking, it's pretty cold in Victoria. My bend is apparently about 105deg which I guess is passable. My right knee needs a replacement also, and is to go ahead in December, 6 months after the first. Just wondering how that will go, and if the left knee will be well enough to cope. Medication now is only Panadol.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 13 weeks out and just now off pain meds! you are doing great at 105! after 8 weeks of therapy I'm at 122. your so eairly in the process, every day is a new day. Sorry to hear your nauseated! I never had that. Keep up on the excercises and ice and rest!! dont overdo, your knee will tell you when it's had enough. Sleep with a pillow betweon your legs, and if your able try taking melatonin for sleep. pool therapy or a stationary bike is really good for progress.

Good Luck To You!

• Posted

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your reply, and encouragement. I think I'm fatigued. Am picking up an exercise bike tomorrow as it turns out. I sleep with the pillow, couldn't otherwise. I feel like taking something stronger than Panadol but with the nausea I won't. I also just had delivered a Goniometer which measures your bend, and my husband says it's 109deg now, so pleased with that at least.

Thanks again

• Posted

Fatigue is definitely a part of recovery in the early weeks. In fact I would say it takes about 3 months or even more to really get your energy levels back. I'm retired so didn't have to worry about getting back to work, but still, I would find that my energy levels would suddenly plummet, totally, even if I was just sitting reading. the only course was to go and lie down for a while. Give yourself time and don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone functions, recovers at different rates. 7 weeks really is early days. Listen to what your body tells you as well.

• Posted

Thanks Jane, I'm glad to hear someone else has had this experience. It just seems strange to have nausea this long after the op. I admit that I've gotten very down and anxious because it seems to take so long to recover. I do get worried about too much rest as I have to get the exercises done each day, one of them 5 times. Like you I should consider myself lucky as I am retired and don't have to go back to work. I will take your advice and listen to my body

• Posted

Do you suffer from reflux? I ask because after an operation 5 years ago I suffered terrible nausea, went to the GP and she suggested it was acid reflux bought on by my taking ibuprofen for my knee. She prescribed a short course of omeprazole and it went. It might be worth asking.

Fatigue at 7 weeks is perfectly normal. Your body has suffered one of the most painful and traumatic surgeries it can. If your scar has completely healed, try wrapping your knee in cling film at night. It works, don't ask me how. Good luck!

• Posted

I meant to add that I had my left knee done 8 months ago. It was suggested I have the right done 4 months later, but I wasn't ready mentally for it. I know of 2 people who had them done 6 months apart and they seem to be doing ok, but I opted to wait a year, as I still have a couple of small issues with the first that I'm hoping will improve by the time the next surgery comes around.

• Posted

Hi Lynda, thanks for your reply, I don't suffer from reflux, I'm seeing GP Monday so will see what she says. Phenergan has helped. I will try the glad wrap, sounds like it would be warm.

• Posted

Lynda, I have booked my second knee for December, just hoping the other knee will be ok by then.

• Posted

I didn't know I suffered from reflux either, but the omeprazole helped, and it seems I did without knowing. Good luck with that second knee.

• Posted

Hi I had Mt left knee tkr last year right tkr this.year. Found that through the excercise done daily on my static bike this years tkr was so easy. After 3 months pain free 125 bend straight leg superb. My left is fine also slight tightness round the knee but according to the Dr etc still early days. Time will improve it but oh so worth it. Good luck patience and excercise will get you through it xx

• Posted

Hi Ann, My bend at 2 months is about 109deg. I guess that is acceptable, but I seem to be overly obsessed with getting the bend to 125 at least. On top of this I have this awful fatigue and nausea, and still a lot of pain in the knee and stiffness. I just got an exercise bike and hope that with the PT I'm doing it will get better. Second knee is due to be done in December, so I'm doing PT on it as well to get the muscles up to scratch.

• Posted

Good luck keep up the excercises and you'll sail through your second tkr done regret mine at all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.