7 Weeks on 10mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am currently just looking for some advice, I am not sure whether I should switch GP. As after only one 2 week review of being on the medication he has told me to revisit whenever I want to. I feel this is very dismissive as only a few weeks ago I was very suicidal due to anxiety and there doesn't seem to be much plan going forward. I have been feeling better and the more severe side effects have worn off like increased anxiety and insomnia, but I am questioning whether I need to increase to 20mg as the anxiety is still difficult and to add to things I have suffered a bereavement as well which is not helping matters. I guess I am just wondering if this is normal for a GP to leave things up to your own discretion after initially discussing your feelings after 2 weeks.

Best Wishes

Helen

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for your loss Helen. I am on 10 mg too. I was taking 20 but I found, for me personally, half the dose made me feel OK. It takes a while for it to work but I'd say you should be feeling the difference by now. It sure worked for me.
  • Posted

I think why he may say that is its very dependant on the person. Perhaps he doesn't want you to come back if not necessary. At the same time feelings can get really messed up and for example some people become suicidal so if you do notice any negative change you should go to your GP. And as for no plan forward its best to see how you go first, then make a plan. As you said you've been dealing with some heavy stuff, my condolences, but no matter what I'd say your gonna feel quite down for a while(understatement) , and that's perfectly normal. Maybe the dose shouldn't been raised until your sorta on an even plain if that makes sense. I'm definitely not qualified though so again if your worried go back to your GP or if you believe they're not doing you justice there's really no harm in a second opinion from another GP. 
  • Posted

Helen, I can only say I'd suffered for 2 1/2 yrs. My husband died 2 yrs ago & for 6 mos b4 his death we fought a loosing battle with cancer. I helped him as much as humanly possible only to loose him & I've been suffering deeply & thinking about my own death ever since. My Nephrologist who I trust more than anyother Dr. put me on 20mg of Cit mid Feb, 2016, but the relief/help was slow coming. As the broucher says, "May take upto 6 weeks for max effect" It snuck up on me!! :-) Thoughts of my death r gone & it's like the lights are on again! I'm out of that dark hole. My Grief Couselor says my face looks more open & brighter. Helen, hang in there & give it a good try!! BTW: I never had 1 negative side effect from Cit. It's a miracle drug for me & it may b yet for you, too. I suggest you read other threads on Cit, 10mg is kinda low, 20's about average but some are on 40 & 60; everybody's different. Good luck! Jo
    • Posted

So sorry for your loss. Roughly when did you notice cit starting to work im on week 2 and im noticing im down still but at different times in the day prior to the med increase also had a really good last 2 days but today has felt as if im back to the start.
    • Posted

It took me the full 6 weeks  it was like one day I noticed WOW I dont want to die today!! Thought I'd not last the 6 weeks, said i cant do that! But then the 6 weeks came/went & I was out of the black hole of saddness & death. I never had 1 negative side effect. No tummy, etc. Now life looks good & is a blessing. I'm glad to be alive, I still miss my husband & love him so much but my life's good Still go to Grief Couseling, may go forever, I've a bond with her :-) All I can say is THANK YOU CITLOPRAM for my life back!! Hang in there Weenett for the 6 weeks, give it a fair chance! Best of luck, Jo
    • Posted

Also Weenett if you ever feel you need encouragement you can always try to reach me on here & I'd b happy to try & help you. Jo  PS but then too I think anyone on here'd want to help you..Good luck, Jo
  • Posted

Hey Helen,

Im sorry for your loss firstly, it does make everything much harder with everything your experiencing.

I think some doctors can be really poor with their patients with regards to making a plan forward, I told my doctor I was suicidal an so I asked for dizapem because of hypventilating pains and she refused and wouldnt perscribe me liquid drops of the antidepressant she wanted me to start! 

I think you should tell your doctor how you feel about your loss, possibly ask for counselling? if your gp isnt helping you much you could see someone for the anxiety?

I personally had to go to online support groups to deal with my anxiety but I think you would benefit from a bearevement counsellor if you wish to do so, they are really empathetic and will help you make a plan so your not so reliant on your doctor. 

Could always change docs if they dont improve over the next few months

• Posted

Hi Kerry

I think the bereavement has been hard as I was slowly starting to feel better on the citalopram, and then somebody passes away and it has made things difficult again the last few days, I am just hoping things start to lift again soon after the funeral. I went to see a different gp this week and said to try another month and then if I'm still struggling up the dose to 20mg. I am starting some short term counselling this week, so I hope that it helps smile. I hope you are feeling well too.

Best Wishes

Helen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.