7 weeks out still a lot of pain and depression.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I just really thought I'd have a lot less pain by now. I had my ankle replaced and it sure wasn't anything like this and by now I was off all drugs and felt almost 90% nomal with doing anything in life. I still can't stand or sit longer than 30-45 minutes without having a lot of discomfort. I hardly have ever taken any pain pills in my life (58 yrs old) but I set an alarm now so I remember to take them every 4 hours now with this. Dr. says healing and ROM are great for time after surgery but I still feel like Ii just cann't do anything. My depression ccomes and goes but hits me really hard because I don't feel like I can do much of anything. Part of this is also that I have to get my other knee done beore the end of the year and I just gt sick thinking of it..What is the average amount of time you all have taken pain pills and dealt with this ? Thanks, Peg

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

There really isnt an average time. Everybody has a built in gauge but you aren't far enough p.o. to need to be overly concerned. Knees are a system into them selves and because of their makeup, heal at a slow pace. The amount of soft tissue/nerve damage is extensive. I'm in the 4th month of my 5th rehab on the same knee. I'm still on pain meds at night and use a cane for balance and in PT twice weekly and I'm not overly concerned. I have set Christmas as my next goal for having, strength and full mobility. Some say you can actually take up to a year for full recovery. Just keep up the excercise, rest when you can and stay hydrated, ice and elevate. trust your gut feelings and don't add to your healing with undo mental stress.
  • Posted

Hi peg. I am six weeks out and dealing with same. I have a lot of pain , very fatigued and aches and pain through out my body, almost like I'm getting the flu. I've been back to work two weeks and I'm finding it hard to focus. I had blood done this week and everything came back normal. I've been depressed so went online to check symptoms and found this support. I have no real answers for you but your not alone. Doctors really don't have an answer when they don't understand but I've found this support worth it so far.
    • Posted

Don't depend on your surgeon for a lot of support. They cut and paste and leave The cleanup to others. Also they don't really tell you what all the negatives about this surgery amt to only the good stuff.
    • Posted

I read on here somewhere that a lot of our fatigue IS from the surgery and of course the depression brings fatigue with it. Also, the pain pills I'm on don't take it all away and I really wish that for like 2-3 hours a day I could have complete relief.
    • Posted

Me too.  I try to hold off as long as I can but Advil doesn't help at this stag
  • Posted

I am 16 weeks post op on LEFT KNEE (TKR) and one week post op on RIGHT KNEE.

Pain comes and goes. So does swelling. You have been through A LOT. There ARE no hard and fast rules because no two surgeries are alike.

I had both knees done in four month's time. My LEFT KNEE recovery was/is slower than my right. I suspect I was in better shape due to the PT I was having on knee#1. My therapists had me work muscles as I was laying down or sitting and had me do BOTH LEGS. I completed therapy on LEFT KNEE two days before my surgery on RIGHT KNEE.

I had TERRIBLE pain in my RIGHT KNEE and honestly could hardly WAIT to get my surgery! Yes, I have pain. ALL surgery comes with pain! It is POSITIVE pain, though, because I realize I made the decision to have the surgeries to FIX WHAT really was going down the drain very fast.

Try to think positive thoughts. Try to focus on what you can do TODAY that you were unable to do BEFORE surgery or shortly AFTER surgery. I bet you will be able to think of many things!

On some days I definitely need ALL scheduled pain meds! Currently taking Extra Strength Tylenol every six hours. On other days I look at my hand for the NEXT AVAILABLE TIME that I write there for quick reference and realize I am a couple HOURS past when I COULD have taken more medication! It varies greatly.

Interestingly enough, I have found that when I sit too long or am laying down too long in bed, I actually have more PAIN. Getting up and MOVING decreases pain! Try moving more. It may help you, too!

I have kept a journal for each KNEE. Each day I read my first journal to see what I was thinking about on each day. I am a week post op with KNEE #2, so it helps to compare the two knees. I also enjoy reading about stuff that concerned me and progress I have made so far. It is very interesting! I guess it is a lot like having two children; first child throws you for a loop (or at least OUR first one did!) Second child worries are SO MUCH MORE minimized because you are more relaxed, have some confidence you didn't have first time around, and you ALSO have FIRST CHILD to take care of!!! You just DEAL WITH IT when it happens and are thrilled that you are succeeding without all the WORRY.

I think you are probably being too tough on yourself. You have gone through a lot, and it has been only seven weeks. It took me NINE WEEKS with my first knee just to be able to maneuver turning over on my stomach to sleep! Ahhhhh! THIS time I managed to accomplish it LAST NIGHT, six days post op. You learn a lot from surgery number one. You go into surgery #2 as a VETERAN!

You will be fine!

Keep visiting this site. You can't beat the wisdom of those here. They have been though it. They can identify with you. There's someone or MANY ones who have felt what you are feeling.

Come often. Post often. Help others who are just beginning THEIR journey. You have already learned a lot.

Looking forward to hearing great things from your recovery!

• Posted

Hi Peg, I empathise with you about your pain and depression. I must be one of the lucky ones, as I only suffered severe pain during my first week home from hospital. I was totally isolated as my husband was at work and my friends were away and the pain was unimaginable except for people like yourself. I was even silly and desperate enough to start taking Targin (long term OxyContin) 2-3 hourly!! I was so depressed I was crying all the time which made me feel ashamed of myself as I'm 65. Luckily, once my wonderful husband was home and realised the pain I was in, he started googling and came up with the suggestion that we try the warm wheat bag. OMG! The relief was instant and long term. That wheat bag became my constant companion then, and I noticed that my need for strong pain killers was no longer there. My mood lifted and I was able to do my exercises. The important time for me is going twice a week to the Ortho Exercise classes as it puts my situation in perspective. I am now three weeks post op. I can't sleep in our bed as I can't get comfortable, so instead sleep in my reclining lounge chair, where, to my surprise and endless gratification, I fall asleep almost immediately and sleep for 5-6 hours which is longer than I ever used to sleep pre op. 

Try the wheat bag, it's worth a go. Only heat it for 2 minutes and protect your wound with a folded tea towel, so you don't burn yourself. I hate to read how much pain and depression you are experiencing so hope some of my solutions can also be yours.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth!

Could you tell me more about the WHEAT BAG you mentioned? I haven't heard of it, but it sounds like a winner!

Thanks!

• Posted

not sure what you mean by a wheat bag ? And I didn't think we were supposed to put heat on the knee ?
  • Posted

peg 7wks is really nothing in time recovery is alot longer with knees ,as ofg says  surgeons dont tell you the real facts of recovery .they say come back in 6wks and maybe your off crutches job done !!! but its only the beginng of the journey . ive had revision last year and im still on anti inflamatorys and some pain tablets and i still need them .im the same age as you its hard going at times all you can do is one day at a time
  • Posted

Peg are you in pain just your knee and ankle or are you stiff and ache all over
    • Posted

Mostly the knee but then there's times when I get pain inmy thigh or shin on the same leg. When I do feel stiff and achy all over it's because I've been in my recliner too long...lol It gets tomy hips and lower back.
  • Posted

I very much empathise with both the pain and the depression. Unfortunately they're both normal and this is what makes this surgery the worst you can endure. The anaesthetic, the drugs, the pain, the loss of ability to do things and the boredom. It's a very long road.

I like to keep a list of what helps so I can refer to it at bad times,like when I'm too depressed to think. For me ice and distraction are my best tools.

It's a fight to stay up and positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.