7 weeks post A&P w/ TOT - stitches STILL there!

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone - I had my post op visit with uro/gyn this week and she said all looks well...and cleared me for marital relations whenever I felt ready.  When i expressed a bit of surprise and explained that I had never really seen stitches come away, she said she had tried to suture in a way that kept them under the tissue.  So  last PM I decide to have a look.  I saw what I thought looked like a blue string going across a ridged bulge of tissue just under the urethra.  I tried to feel and see if it was attached or was mobile, but it kept disappearing in ridge lines.  I decided to leave alone til AM.   This morning...as many of you have shared, the bulge was not as visible, thus I didn’t see the suture line.  So I decided to insert one finger to assess.  I was very surprised to feel knots of sutures that had I not checked...could have caused me or my spouse harm had we attempted relations.  I was also surprised at how firm everything felt inside, both front and back...not soft and pliable.  Is this normal?  How long has it taken you all to have suture material resolve?  I am no where near being ready for relations at this point and have told hubby I will let him know when it is time.  Other than these things, I am feeling much better - dont have that awful pressure all the time - can walk more - still feel pulling sensation if I sit certain ways (feels like I am pulling stitches or suture lines) and am building up endurance.  Had it not been for a shoulder rotator cuff/bicep tenodesis/labral repair sgy 2 weeks ago...I would be returning to work at this point.  I haven’t been anywhere in 7 weeks other than 2 surgeries, and 3 MD appts...so not sure how I would do.  Plan to see if I can start to go a bit with family on errands as I am just beginning to feel like getting out a little (due to shoulder sgy). I would appreciate hearing from others at my stage and especially from those ahead of me...especially about stitches and the feel of internal area.  Wishing all of you the best - this sight and your support has been a godsend!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi love

I am 14 wks tvh and anterior repair. I still have gone stitches come away,I haven't had intercourse yet but I will try soon once I see my consultant on Monday.

I can't believe how longing takes to recover from this😕

I see the firmness as a good thing that the walls are tight after the surgery.

I'm sorry I can't give you any advice on the tot but I'd be nervous to have sex if I had stitches.. Just go with your gut instinct hun.xx

• Posted

If you don't feel ready yet, DON'T do it. Listen to your body it will be worth it in the long term. The firmness will be scar tissue and a good sign I would say. My first op, 3 odd years ago, hysterectomy and bladder repair went well and the doc I saw in clinic for post op said I could try having sex if I wanted to. I did and it was too soon, very sore for both of us. Be patient and all will come good soon. Poll x wink

• Posted

Thanks everyone- very sage advice and appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.