7 weeks post-op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, just thought i would bring you up to date with my progess. Saw my consultant today and he's really pleased with my progress. Apparently mine was very complex as it was very badly deformed (i was knock-kneed) and it is now completely straight. I can wear my skinny jeans again which is fab. He is happy with my bend 120 now although im not fully straight yet but he said that will come with time. Ive lost a lot of muscle so its going to take time to build them up but im keeping up with physio and using my stationery bike. On the whole im really happy my knee feels more stable and is not as painful. Im able to do bits of housework now and im walking around the house unaided although i still use a crutch when im out for confidence and the main thing is im driving again which is great. I still have pain but its a lot better than it was, i have arthritis anyway so i expected that. The pain management team have taken me off the oxycodone now and i feel so much better it was making me really drowsy. Im still on tramadol for another 6 weeks and all in all i feel like im well on the way to getting back to normal although i know its going to take months in fact my consultant doesnt want to see me now for 6 months. My conxultant has been great ive read so many stories on here about consultants pushing you about your bend etc but mine never did he said everybody heals at their own pace and as long as you exercise but dont push so it hurts you will get there.

On a more serious note i was disappointed to read that one of our members is leaving this forum due to feeling she cannot express her views. Everybodys experience of tkr is different some suffer horrendously and some sail through it and some like me just get through it as best they can hoping it will be worth it in the end which in the majority of cases it usually is. This forum is for everyones experiences and i know i could not have managed without it. There has been many a night where i have been worried about a particular pain in my knee only to visit this site and have my fears put to rest.

Take care

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Great to hear your news! I have just stopped using a stick for support at 12 weeks...thats my big milestone! Keep using support for as long as you need to, as the bone heals and the muscles get stronger you will be amazed at how things progress!
    • Posted

Wow Jenny thats great you must feel so good thats textbook recovery time. You must be so pleased you had it done. I think your right i will keep using my crutch for some weeks yet i need that stability when im outside because my muscle is still weak but thats my next goal.

Take care

• Posted

I used two walking poles a lot, from around 8 weeks onwards, for walks in the park. Started with short distances and built it up, just a couple of times a week. Using two was good for that, as got a bit of a rhythm going.
  • Posted

Good to hear you are doing so well now Lisa.

Things can only get better now.

My consultant & physiotherapist never ever pushed me either. I think it is better than being pushed to the point of extreme pain.

Onwards & upwards!!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn i was worried at one point that i wasnt doing enough but coming on here and reading other peoples experiences made me realise that everybody is different and everyones recovery is different and as long as you exercise and do it at your own pace you will get there in the end.

Take care xx

• Posted

So good for you Lisa to have a great result so far. Hope you continue to heal and improve. All the best.
  • Posted

Important to remember there are folks on here who have not done as well. You are fortunate.
    • Posted

I agree and as i said in my post everyones recovery is different but this forum allows people to share their experiences good and bad and get support and encouragement on their journey.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa!

You are doing GREAT! Wonderful to hear that you have your leg straight again, and CONGRATULATIONS on being able to wear your skinny jeans!👖

Glad your pain is less and you are getting around well.

Look for progress each day! Keep a positive outlook, and rest when you get tired. Eat well. Enjoy getting your life back!

(TKRs June and October 2015)

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl, yes ive got a long way to go but i do feel like im getting my life back. To have had to have two tkr's within 4 months of each other is not only amazing but very brave i hope your doing well.

Take care.

• Posted

I'm doing GREAT! 😁 I was SO HAPPY to get a date for my second surgery because the pain in my not-yet-done knee was SO BAD compared to my new knee! Also my new knee was already so much stronger than my other knee. Old knee was really holding me back!

I sure do not miss the constant radiating and throbbing pain!

Stay positive and move around frequently to keep the circulation going. Rest as soon as you begin to feel fatigue. Your strength WILL come, and before you know it you will be back to your best self again!😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.