7 weeks post op for rectocele & cystocele repair & sacrospinous fixation - update

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi Ladies, I have received so much information and support from this forum over recent months and hope that this will also prove helpful to others providing reassurance and also some gentle warnings to take care. Bottom line/abridged version  - rest, rest and more rest (even when you think you are feeling better) for a minimum of 6 weeks and likely for a lot longer (12 weeks) - this will give you the best chance of a good and full recovery. 

Foe me it has been a bumpy 7 weeks with lows, highs, more lows and then full on panic that the operation had failed, followed by tears of relief that all is actually healing fine, just taking a bit of extra time for the tissues to heal ..... a redhead trait - we are sensitive ones?! apparently. 

Unpleasant things that happened in the 7 weeks included anaemia due to blood loss in the operation (a trait of redheads also apparently) which led to fainting/weakness immediately post op which meant I couldn't get out of bed/alarms going off in the hospital/catheter in place longer etc. followed by usual 4 days of no bowel movement, followed by a very unusual 5 weeks of effectively faecal incontinence and loose bowels which took me to an untold low. Then a dose of a flu type bug with high temperature and lots of coughing and sneezing which was also miserable and had me bracing my tummy to keep everything in tact. 

I had to resort to cutting out practically all meds from iron tablets, codeine, ibuprofen and all of the stool softeners etc that had been prescribed to try an calm down my digestive system and I self-prescribed otc treatments to counter thrush, piles and practically nappy rash given the unexpected complications that visited me. Counter to everything that we are normally told, I had to move to lower fibre food, reduce fluid intake etc. All very strange and maybe a complication of my historical IBS, inflammation/upset from ibuprofen and antibiotics. 

But amongst all of this there were some highs. I had a look down below after week 1 or 2 and there was no bruising, no prolapses and a perfectly formed wonderful vagina was to be seen. Wept with joy at the prospect of feeling and looking normal again.

At 2-4 weeks, started to feel able to go out to get occasional fresh air/visit a friend etc. (albeit trying to manage discreetly problems with bowels). Bleeding stopped at about 2-3 weeks and was managing mainly on paracetamol but needed a lie down/rest during the day. Only very very short car journeys as a passenger could be tolerated and similarly not much sitting but a little walk around was fine. I finally started to ditch the pyjamas/leisurewear during the day and I managed to drive 1 mile or so to get meds for husband who had flu.

At 5 weeks, I was hit with flu bug (thanks husband), mainly in bed/on sofa feeling sorry for myself for a week.  At 6 weeks, I sat 2 hours in a car as a passenger, had dinner with friends,  sleep over, 2 hours trip back the following day. I was really uncomfortable and needed paracetamol.  I was desperate for fresh air after almost 2 weeks in flu ridden household, so walked for 20 minutes around neighbouring woodland/lake the day after the 'weekend away". I felt overjoyed to be in fresh air but despondent that had so little stamina for the walk and needed to lie down and recover when I got home. I had a look down below as the familiar prolapse type dragging feeling and pain there and I was distraught to see 2 apparent lumps/swellings just up from the entrance to my lady bits. Rested for 3 days solid, felt better and it looked a bit better. 

At week 6+ when allegedly we can engage in intercourse, I thought I ought to try driving more than a mile (less frightening than sex!). I found I was perfectly fine driving for 5 to 20 mins, but at week 7 drove 45 mins, had a lovely relaxing facial and pedicure followed by 30 minutes of freedom trying on clothes/shopping/like a kid in a sweetshop,  followed by killer 45 minute drive home ............This resulted in pain, soreness and what I thought was a return of the prolapses, cue tears, despair.......when is this going to end, feel better, when can I get back to normal life, work etc. and now I don't think I can even go to to the Christmas party I have bought the clothes for.......

Week 7 and 1 day, finally see my consultant. I tell him the highs - great that bladder working well, bowels now pretty much under control, no hematoma, no butt pain, no serious infection - but also explained the issues as above and concerns that whilst I could see I was no longer a stage 2 prolapse (2 apricots at opening) - I thought I could see a stage 1 prolapse (2 large sultanas front and back just inside), I was sore, dragging pain from driving/shopping the previous day etc.

He examined me - and got me to press down (instructions were to tell him as he rummaged around outside and in where it felt sore, then to cough, then bare down as if pushing out a poo, push harder as if pushing our a baby, pull up pelvic floor and squeeze, interspersed with relax, breath normally etc., ). He used lots of lube, was considerate and gentle under the circumstances and a nurse was on hand giving encouragement! Upshot was that what I can see is not a prolapse.............just normal swelling/healing and plump walls of the vagina. The nurse said she had a good look too (!) and absolutely could confirm that even when pushing out a 'baby', no prolapse came down. I had also though the soreness might be due to vaginal atrophy ( 57 and rather late, but started peri menopause a few months back, finally prescribed Vagifem and Estriol cream to help with atrophy and ultimately also HRT patches as getting so desperate with sudden onset of hormonal imbalances) However, his assessment was that I may have a bit of an infection which was leading to the soreness so he recommended a type of cream/ointment used for nappy rash which I can buy over the counter and that the tissues were otherwise appropriately moist and plump from the hormonal treatments (good to know I suppose!). 

I told him that we had not 'road tested' so to speak my new lady bits because of my concerns and he was emphatic that given on going healing for me, no intercourse for at least another 4 - 6 weeks (phew) and no pelvic floor exercises using the internal weights/Kegel8/Elvie appliances etc...but just to carry on as I have been with normal natural squeezes etc. (Pelvic floor and control all tested as ok).

I asked should I be trying to walk more, do more normal activities/exercise etc. start to challenge myself etc. ....again he was adamant, absolutely not. Rest, listen to body and allow the healing process, although he recognised it was difficult but important for me to accept as he knows how active I would normally be. Again he reiterated, I am still healing. Although some advice is 4-6 weeks, for some (especially fair skinned/redhead etc. according to the nurse at least) it can often taken a little longer. He wants to see me in another 4-6 weeks to check progression of the healing and hopefully if I continue to take it easy, all will be well. The dissolvable stitches are slowly dissolving and there are 2 nylon permanent stitches hitching up my uterus to the sacro spinous ligament.

I was so relieved to know that the op appears to have been a success and setting aside my personal and peculiar earlier complications, the intermittent discomfort I feel and little bumps I can see are just part of the healing. I am also reassured to know he will see me again to check and should contact him or GP in between times if anything concerns me and I suppose I have been given a 'don't feel guilty' pass to just 'STOP', RELAX and allow my body to heal.

Take care lovely ladies and I hope and pray you have the support and resources to enable you to allow your amazing bodies to heal and be kind to yourselves and try not to worry too much........ progress will be made in time and with care xxxx

8 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi redhead, it's lovely to hear how well you've progressed, well done😃😃

I'm 10 weeks post op for sacromonious fixation, in myself I feel fine, and I look brilliant, driving short journeys etc, but have been feeling guilty not doing hoovering and ironing etc, so this week I started doing more, did some ironing, then vacuumed around etc, but has the funny feeling in my bum.

My friend wanted company for a hospital apt for a prolapse at the same hospital that I went to, so while she was seeing her consultant I had a word with the staff nurse on duty, (she remembered me from my last visit) I asked her about my doing housework and she told me, that due to my op, age etc to do no heavy housework at all till at least 12 weeks, then slowly build up doing small amounts each day, she said I'm at the dangerous stage, because I look fine, feel fine and therefore tend to overdo things and our bodies are internally healing, which we can't see and only feel if we do too much, was I glad I had a word with her, she emphasised how much a major op we've all had.

Anyway the journey to the hospital takes an hour, we were there 2 hours with waiting etc then another hour journey home actually we were out for 5 hours and I sure did feel it later in the afternoon, and today I'm still sore.

So ladies don't be daft and do anything too strenuous. .. yes we look and feel good but be aware things are still healing.

I don't see my consultant until the 8th January and she said to take it gently and carefully until I see him.

I'm an energetic 67 year old, with 3 lively little dogs so I'm back to dusting and cooking, hubby back to ironing and dancing around with the vacuum cleaner.

By the way, sorted out how to get all the laundry downstairs to the washing machine, 😂😂 I throw it down the stairs, then pick it up at the bottom, no heavy washing basket for me 😂😂😂

Take care ladies, we'll all be dancing around after new year 😃😃

Lyn xx

• Posted

What a lovely post Lyndy. I laughed at the dancing and laundry. I did think about throwing the clothes also down the stairs but found picking them up at the bottom was uncomfortable. So my work around was just take washing down in a plastic shopping back. The bag weighs nothing - just a few items at a time. Might mean I need to take 2 or 3 shopping bags down if I want a 'full load' but that worked easier for me. If it was a bad day it might take me on and off all day to finally do 3 return trips up and down the stairs but I felt I had accomplished something. Other times used this method and got it all in and out and dried off with no rest breaks. Must admit, still not done any ironing yet ( thank goodness for drip dry crease free fabrics and a husband who will step up and help) and I only vacuum with a light cordless vacuum in an emergency. No dancing for me either yet!

Take care and hope you get good result when you see consultant in January. 

• Posted

Hi Redhead 1960!

I ended up having the same surgery as you when I had mine nov 29th. I think I’m ten days post op - and it’s been ok except yesterday I sneezed when my babysitter was leaving and had to back away slowly from the door without moving my legs more than a shuffle I had felt a huge warm gush and had a gigantic amount of blood clots. Like two cupped palms full (sorry TMI) but I’m thinking that’s not normal nor the pretty steady drip drip type bleeding I’ve had all week (I’m definately going to my dr Monday morning I just don’t have a fever or excruciating pain and don’t want to sit in the emergency with my Mum and two boys this evening. It’s saturday as I type this) it also smells bad so I think it’s not normal and will go to urgent care if it gets worse before Monday. Anyways I was wondering if you felt a pulling feeling around 9-10 days in maybe it could be stitches healing? I also had to stop all painkillers because of constipation even though I’ve been taking docusate and magnesium citrate at regular intervals (I was taking them pretty regularly the past 3 years anyways because my rectocele made BM impossible). I’ll be so glad when whole days don’t revolve around having one in and out of the bathroom all day between me and my almost 3 year old needing his poopy diapers changed I’ve had enough haha. Hope you are doing well - did you have any blood pressure issues? I had really low blood pressure after surgery I normally have normal blood pressure but the high number was 80 so they were thinking hematoma then it got better I was discharged with catheter all weekend; got it out Monday and tues I felt dizzy and low blood pressure again. Feel ok now except the weird pulling situation on one side in my V (different from the full rectum tight feeling I’ve had since surgery. My Mum thought I had a hematoma after surgery (she was a labor and delivery nurse for 45 years she helped train my surgeon when he was a resident at the hospital so she’s very comforting to have at my side when my babies were born; any surgeries , along with being my dear Mum of course!) they did blood work at the hospital that didn’t show hematoma I guess but the drip drip style bleeding I’ve had actually started this week I haven’t had it the entire time like I said above - I meant that I’ve had bleeding and discharge since I came home but when this started I thought maybe was my period. Was your hematoma discovered during surgery or after? Thx take care, glad your repair went well! 

• Posted

Hi Malecai. Poor you! I can't help much as I'm not having op til 28th, but have read on here that prune juice is a good alternative to meds for constipation - I've already got my supplies laid in! Hope you get things sorted on Monday and that the op is successful despite these horrible hiccups. Lizzie x

• Posted

Hi Malecai

Thank goodness for your mum's knowledge and experience to support you. I did not have a hematoma which is a blood clot I think and quite a common risk with our surgery. I had anaemia which is low blood/iron count. This was caused by losing a bit more blood than normal in the operation itself (2 hour op). My blood count was fine when measured pre op but dropped immediately post op. I was put on iron tables to boost iron levels. I also fainted and was naseous several times at hospital when trying to get out of bed and the blood pressure dropped very low. Not sure if one causes the other or not. The nurses thought I was fainting (although they had a fancy medical term for it 'vasovagal syncape'wink probably due to effects of anaesthetic and Gabapentin which is a common painkiller used for these type of operations. When the surgeon saw me on the 3 day after the op, he said that it was more likely due to the blood loss which had caused the low iron count/low levels of oxygenation in the blood etc. I fortunately left hospital without a catheter but had had one in on and off for 3 days/nights. I also went very faint etc as they put it in and out  - not sure if it was anxiety, blood pressure, anaemia - but all resolved itself as my iron levels improved, came off the Gabapentin.

I also experienced and still do from time to time different pulling and nipping sensations as you do and in different places.  I think it all part of the healing process, different bits healing at different times and reacting to our activities. We had a lot done to us after all. Take care x

• Posted

Hi I also lost 500mls and had trouble with low bp82. Normally u am in medication. This has been lowered twice. Go slow.

My stitches some times fell like needles and one has come out and is think and very hard.

18 days post op

• Posted

Oh and I meant to say thank you so much for telling us your story in your post and thanks for replying to me in jenex’s post! I read it thank you - I sometimes reply but my iPad goes all wonky and I lose the whole reply so I started copy pasting them in my notes so when I inevitably get interrupted a million times by my kids - I can still post it.  Thanks again take care❤️
  • Posted

HibRedhead. Thank you for your informative update after your op.  I am now 7 weeks post op following surgery and am still a little tender & uncomfortable, feel like I am sitting on a small lump which is quite uncomfortable at times. Feeling a little better each day and still need

pain killers at night but definitely rest is the best answer. I am hoping that my prolapse hasn't returned and what I'm feeling is just part of the healing process. I think 12 weeks is a more realistic recovery period, take care ladies

Diane 

• Posted

Hi Diane, thank you for your comments. I think you are right that it is a long recovery period. I keep putting off seeing my consultant for a final post op appointment and I am now 13 weeks post op. If I look back I can see definite progress but is it is sloooooow. Plus I am my own worst enemy, as soon as I feel I am well, doing better, I try and do too much (only normal things though) and then have a set back and have to spend 2-3 days resting to allow everything to settle down again. I still find sitting uncomfortable if it is for any length of time - and even when watching the TV or at friends having dinner, I end up hovering from one buttock to the other to take the pressure off my under carriage.

I haven't been back to exercise or even walking very far other than round the house or around the shops and have now put on 7 lbs - not a huge problem but a sign of the lack of exercise and activity (and me not cutting down my food accordingly!) which has also contributed to feeling fed up.

I was able to have sex at 12 weeks without any pain and it was pleasurable. That  gave me confidence to try and be more active - but I did too much too soon I presume and am now having 2-3 days trying to recover. When I have a look down below - it looks like I have 2 prolapses - front and back, albeit not as large or as low as before and my bowel and bladder are behaving well. So I am inclined to believe my consultant who explained that despite what I can see, there is no prolapse - it is normal skin laxity - so I guess stretched skin due to childbirth/age/hormones plus stretching from the original prolapses and some residual swelling from the healing. He said that if he had tightened everything up and taken away the excess skin he could have made me a clear vaginal canal, but it would be too tight for intercourse etc. My skin is quite fragile and tender down below and I have to keep on top of my topical oestrogen treatments to ensure the tissues/collagen are supported. It is incredible frustrating not being able to pick up the threads of my old life and or be as active as I used to be or feel able to return to my full time full on employment, but I still have hope that if I am patient, I will be able to do more. 

I would have though given my recent experience - and I did see the consultant at 7 and 9 weeks, that you are also still healing and it is taking its time. I am due to see my consultant at 14 weeks ( I postponed from 12 weeks) - but I am looking to reschedule to 16 weeks or 18 weeks - as I really want to both ensure the tissues have settled down  -and also that I have been able to do more in terms of exercise/driving etc to judge whether/to what extent the operation has been a success. That said - to be able to empty my bladder and bowels without the drama and accidents I had previously is fantastic compared to how I was before the op and for that I am grateful!

I hope all goes well with your continued recovery xxx

• Posted

You sound like your doing great and well on your way to successful recovery. Will always have to be mindful of down pressure.

Take care,  

Phyl x💕

• Posted

Oh my goodness I am so relieved to read your report. I am 6 weeks post op after posterior and anterior repair and have been completely cared for by my hubby...absolutely no lifting, cooking, cleaning at all. The last week I have started light chores as emptying the dishwasher and sweeping the floor. I walk about half a mile every day. I did go to the movie which required walking up about nine steps and back down two days ago. When I woke up the day after the movie outing, I felt a full feeling in my vagina. Since you had the same type of feeling and your doc said all was fine...I am feeling so much better about my situation. My doc examined me at 4 weeks and said everything looked great and to continue taking it easy for another month. I am going to be patient and pray that like your bulge feeling....mine is swelling and will go away in time.

Thanks again for your post!

• Posted

Hi Brenda, so pleased to have put your mind at rest. I have been discharged by my consultant who said everything was perfect.  I have however been suffering from Atrophic Vaginitis which has been awful, Dr. gave mr Oestriol cream but I found vaginal pessaries called balance active Moisture pessaries plus which have been a god send. After 2 uses I feel so much better. You can get on prescription as they are £15 for 10 but worth every penny. I hope you continue to make a good recovery, don't forget to excercise that pelvic floor

regards Diane

• Posted

Your post was such a huge comfort to me tonight! I have been very discouraged that I am almost at the end of week 6 of recovery and still feel lousy. As you mentioned, I feel great and then, suddenly, I will be hit with extreme fatigue and pain. So exhausting. Because I hit week 6 in three days I had signed up (pre-surgery thinking I'd feel great by now) to be a volunteer safety coordinator all week long on a playground construction that the community is building. I also agreed to teach a math class on Thursday night as well as two other classes later in the week. I now know that committing to these things was a mistake. But I cannot back out now. So I am fearful of what this week holds. I think it's going to be miserable at times and this scares me. I have a lot of people depending on me. But your post really helped because I have not found a lot of detail about this recovery and yours is the first that I could relate to. Thank you again! I cannot tell you how much this helped!

• Posted

Good luck Kim with your busy week and I am pleased my post helped. After you have finished each day at the playground, maybe just crash out and lie down for 1-2 hours. I still find now even after 7 months post surgery, if I do too much on consecutive days - too much standing, walking, lifting that my insides feel like they are going south and I feel uncomfortable. However, as longs as I note it, arrange some time to rest up I recover very quickly and can get back to being active. For the most part, I now feel great, I just don't have the stamina to keep going 24/7 dashing from one thing to another and holding onto my insides at the same time. I think age has caught up with me! All the best. xx

• Posted

hi Kim. It really does take a lot longer than 6 weeks to recover. Rest is the key and to be kind to yourself.  I am 6 months post op & I still have some difficult days but it gets better. 

Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.