7 weeks Post Op ORIF Pain FWB

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi- A little over 7 weeks ago I fell and have a Trimalleolar fracture. I had ORIF exactly 7 weeks ago. I have a plate and 5 screws on the outside, and 2 long screws on the inside. On Friday my doctor said I can go FWB in my boot, but PT couldn't get me in until later this week. Since going FWB (and only walking around the house) I have noticed a lot more general swelling which I expect. It is also painful to walk, especially on the bottom of my foot (also expected). However I have now started today getting these jabs of pain. Sometimes they are like nerves firing and are sharp. Other times, while elevating & not on it, I am getting really strong pain, made worse by flexing my ankle. These are all around my ankle and seem totally separate from pain I have while walking. I have also noticed decreased mobility (i.e. during ankle rotations, flexing, writing ABCs) since I started walking.

Is all of this normal? I hate not being able to search the boards so sorry if this is a repeat topic.

Unrelated, how long until you could drive (broke my right foot so need it to drive) after you were FWB?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

Hi, well I dont think you should be going FWB at 7 weeks. I have a trimalleor , I was in a cast for 7 weeks then told to go lightly in the boot, put weight on my foot gradually. Also swelling is a given. I'm 8 months post op and it swells when i'm on it. You will get pains etc..because you have screws and a plate and muscles and nerves are angry. PT will help with your mobility a lot. But excerse every day is key for recovery. Ankle rotations, ABC's , and up and down movements will help. Take care. Karen

• Edited

I was shocked as well that they wanted me to go from completely NWB to FWB. It seems fast to me but I'm not a doctor. His only concern seemed to be that my bones were lined up correctly. You can still see the break.

• Posted

6 month's mine still the same.

Doctor said can take that long.

• Posted

Id say all quite normal and expected

I was FWB at 7-8 weeks and it hurt!

Had the same shooting pains as well

PT will help but this is more 12 weeks before you can really walk decent

Just think about the fact that your ankle not only had an injury then surgery then screws and plate. Of course your foot is sore!!!

Good luck!!!

• Posted

I had same fracture 2/14/19 surgery 2/21/19. This has been a terrible experience. I am now one year into my recovery and doing very well. I go to spin class 5 days a week. I had lots of swelling at first and would ice all the time. Physical therapy is a must. They massage ankle to help with the swelling and I did the same at home. Stiffness is very normal and range of motion takes time and proper exercising. I bought a balance board and found it helpful for the stiffness. It takes a long time to feel good again. I wear these sneaker socks that come up to ankle that are terrific and they look good too. I am going to ortho tomorrow to discuss having metal removed.

• Posted

Five fixations me.

to you on the 8 week I was the same.

Elavate foot at heart leval it will improve promise.

7 month's walking with little limp it's getting there.

I found putting aveeno skin relief helped after scabs had gone realy helped..

Keep up the good work will see little improvements I know..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.